What is a Fret Saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Hello,

I've heard the term fret saw before. I assumed it was another name for a coping saw but apparently they are two different things.

Seems the fret saw use a finer blade. Is it a scroll saw blade? If so, pinned or not pinned?

TIA

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
From Google search:

The fretsaw is a bow saw used for intricate cutting work which often incorporates tight curves. Although the coping saw is often used for similar work, the fretsaw is capable of much tighter radii and more delicate work. ... Unlike the coping saw, the blade has a fixed orientation in relation to the frame.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member

My Google research suggests it to be a saw that leaves the user constantly or visibly worried or anxious.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe in the luthier craft, a fret saw is used to cut the neck of a guitar, mandion, ukelele or banjo in preparation for the cross bars, aka frets to be placed into. It is usually set to a specific width to accommodate the metal or hardwood fret bars used, making a tight fit.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So that's three different frets. All three are correct. One can be resolved by self medication or meditation, which ever you prefer. Bills discription is scroll work and the sawyer frets their way through the work. Dennis's discription is a thin kerf saw with a depth stop and looks like a gents dovetail saw. I'm sure someone smarter and more learned than I can add more to this.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
So that's three different frets. All three are correct. One can be resolved by self medication or meditation, which ever you prefer. Bills discription is scroll work and the sawyer frets their way through the work. Dennis's discription is a thin kerf saw with a depth stop and looks like a gents dovetail saw. I'm sure someone smarter and more learned than I can add more to this.

It may help to think in terms of the following, the fretsaw is essentially the manual equivalent of the modern day scrollsaw and used for much the same sort of work. It was used in the production of ornate fretwork, hence the origin of its name (as opposed to lutherie, though it is a tool that overlaps a number of disciplines where fine control or detail is required). Interestingly, it was a woodworking hobby with a broad appeal to women and they would often gather together to produce a variety of projects to pass the time or earn extra income — fretwork, puzzles, etc. — often working off the edge of a table, as it was a fairly safe tool, light in weight and did not require a lot of strength nor did it make a great mess indoors and the projects could be as simple or intricate as one wished depending upon skill, time, or patience. It is also very similar to a jewelers piercing saw, only a much finer blade is ordinarily used in such.

If you have a fretsaw then you can usually use your plain end scrollsaw blades for stock as most will adjust to a range of blade lengths.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good info. I only thought the difference was coping saw is $10 while fret saw is $75...silly me!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It looks kind of like a coping saw. It will be ‘installed on a board that is usually clamped to a table. I will look for a video.
attachment.php

This is a very good video of how to make Scroll Saw fret work with this Saw. It is German with English subtitles. FEINES AUS WUPPERTAL Fretsaw tutorial.

I have seen a video of an Indian man using one to make beautiful work with his feet. He has no hands.

The fret Saw that looks like a back Saw is for placing frets for a stringed instrument like a banjo.

And there you have it.

Attachments

• 031EAADE-D863-411C-8770-108D5329D873.jpeg
    031EAADE-D863-411C-8770-108D5329D873.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Ethan you are describing the tool I know as a fret saw. I use it to cut brass most of the time.

C72.JPG

B61.JPG

To George and Jeff-- Stew-Mac calls it a fret saw and they are using it to put frets in the neck of a finger board on a guitar but that tool would not be the one to use for intricate fret work like Ethan described.

attachment.php

the one above is the Knew Concept saw. it is very nice to use.

attachment.php

the one here with the black handle is the one I currently have. It is useful but it lacks balance and the blade holding features are adequate but not convenient.

It is important to point out: you will be changing blades often. Once you get over you "ham fist" stage you will change them less often but you will still net a dozen or so of each type of blade.

Your original question seems like you wanted to just know what a "fretsaw" really was.

The Stewart Mac saw is one I would call a Gentleman's Saw. Some folks on the site really like these.

Attachments

• il_340x270.628241381_8erp.jpg
    il_340x270.628241381_8erp.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 116
  • il_570xN.920739484_1k7b.jpg
    il_570xN.920739484_1k7b.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS