What I Have Been up to this Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
After years of seeing the band joist on my shop deteriorate from water damage it was past time to repair the damage. I did not take before pics, but this is a older pic and you can see how the joist was set on cinder block. For years they got wet from the rain splashing until I had gutters put on but the damage was done.

Shop_003_cropped_1.jpg

Started cutting the old out the weekend after the 4t of July and spent 3 hot and hard days just replacing the joist. If you look at the block on the lower right you can see how far down into the ground they sunk. To make the pillars I dug down, filled and packed the holes with a paver base, then set solid block down for a much better foundation.

The_Shop_2_e_1.jpg

The right side looked worse, but the front left corner was in much worse shape than I first thought. When I started cutting out under the door I found active termites :eek:. They had gone all the way along the rim joist across the front and was doing a good job on the wood under the door. It was not as bad as it could have been, but time to buy more lumber and call Mr Exterminator :help:

The_Shop_1_e_1.jpg

Everything was replaced with treated lumber and the 20 ton stubby bottle jack from Lowe's was a tremendous help. I still have to build the stairs but the last pillar was dug and set in place Saturday :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS