What I have been up to since December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
I haven't been terribly active on the site this winter, so I thought I would get it all out in the open, and show some of the things that I have done this winter.

Items I have made in no particular order of completion:

1. Crochet hook box for the wife. So she can store the hooks I have made for her. This was completed the day before valentines day.

2. 2x4 contest entry for an online contest. Not great, but I pulled it off in less than 2 weeks.

3. Portable writing desk. Again for the online contest. This took about 3 weeks to complete, and it was done mostly with hand tools.

Oh yeah, and at the end of Feb, my wife and I had our 5th son. Needless to say, I am just getting back into the shop to try and remember how to turn stuff, and work on some odd and ends projects. Like making a elevated seat for my 3rd (3yrs old) and 4th(20 months old) sons.

Anyway. Just thought I would catch up a bit. Hope you enjoy.

cskipper

Cathy
Congratulations on the birth of your 5th son!!! The portable writing desk looks cool. I do have a couple of questions about it: How heavy is it? It looks like each "side" has a inside cover to keep items in place. Is that accurate? What are the woods? What is the finish? Did you pad the back, put felt dots on the corners or none of the above?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Looks like you've had a rather busy winter! I only wish I could've been that productive in the shop!

Gotta love the stealth gloat on your 5th born...CONGRATULATIONS!

Threejs

New User
David
Congratulations on the birth of your 5th son!!! The portable writing desk looks cool. I do have a couple of questions about it:

How heavy is it?
It isn't that heavy. Maybe 3 lbs. (I haven't actually weighed it.)

It looks like each "side" has a inside cover to keep items in place. Is that accurate?
Yes. When you open the box there are covers that serve as the writting desk. They are jam fit in the box. I hand cut the ends to same angle as the slope to make sure there was a good fit.

What are the woods?
The woods are walnut, and maple. The maple came from a turning blank I have had for a while.

What is the finish?
Tung oil. I wish I had used something else at this point, but whats done is done. I will probably use oil and shellac on the next one.

Did you pad the back, put felt dots on the corners or none of the above?
No felt.. Although that would probably be a good idea for the next one.:icon_thum

My wife's friends have started asking if I would make them one. I will probably make another, but won't make it quite so complicated.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Congrats, and terrific projects! I am always amazed how much you can get out of a single 2x4, very creative. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

T

toolferone

Remind me to never enter a 2 x 4 contest if you are entering! That table is great! I have 2 girls, wanna trade one :eusa_naug ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors