What finish for hanging tool cabinet?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'm building a hanging tool cabinet. It's BIG! First question: what finish for the outside? I was thinking an oil finish as it's going to get used and abused and an oil finish can be repaired easily. Question B: do I even bother finishing the inside? Final question: I haven't made tool hangars/mounts yet, but when I do, should I finish them or just leave them natural?

The materials are as follows; Sides, Top and Bottom are Maple and the Back and Front (Doors) are Baltic Birch Ply.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and ideas!

and if you need to know, the size is 60" tall, by 37" wide, by 13" deep

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oil finish is a great choice, if it was me I'd use shellac on the interior, it's fast and easy to rag or pad on, dries fast, you can apply multiple coats in a day. It's easy to repair and fairly durable.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Oil finish is a great choice, if it was me I'd use shellac on the interior, it's fast and easy to rag or pad on, dries fast, you can apply multiple coats in a day. It's easy to repair and fairly durable.
Thanks Richard! I hadn't thought of Shellac. What about using Shellac on the exterior also?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 on shellac for the inside or outside or both. Zinsser SealCoat is 100% dewaxed so if you later decide to put something else over it you shouldn't have adhesion issues. The other Zinsser shellacs found at the BORGS contain wax and should be avoided.

Your dimensions sound like a floor cabinet but you said "hanging wall cabinet". Is that correct? How will you hang it on the wall? Wood screws or French cleats?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, the outside would work as well. If you are using from a can then thin the product 50/50 with alcohol and just pad it on really thin, it drys fast and helps build fast.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for the comments! Yes Jeff, it will be hanging on two French Cleats, an upper and a lower. It'll take some careful measuring but I've done this before with dual (upper and lower) French Cleats.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I used an oil/varnish on the outside of my hanging cabinet. I think I just left the inside unfinished. I've rearranged it several times.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Late to the game, but I was going to suggest shellac too!
I tried it on a table that my lathes are sitting on... knowing it isn't durable, but it REALLY looks good and will be easy to touch up if needed... Let's see how it handles the abuse...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Shellac is one of my favorites. Oil finish also works well. I am using a mineral/beeswax/carnuba wax combo that really makes the wood stand out.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Well, it'a already finished! I put the last coats on yesterday, Sunday. I used a de-waxed Shellac and applied thinned about 50% with Denatured Alcohol and wiped it on. It went on quite easy, I got the exact look I was after = natural, and it was very simple and forgiving to apply! It looks great and I'm very happy so far with my choice! Next is to clear the spot on the wall where it's going to live and then hang the main body of the box. Then I can remount the doors and begin working on the hanging /brackets for tools.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Remember Michael - Pictures or it never happened!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I started to say something........ so that's was my good deed for the day.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I can post pictures, but at this stage, it's a box sitting on my workbench and two doors leaning on some plywood. Would you like to see that? or wait until its hanging on the wall and the doors have been assembled onto the box?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS