What do you do with ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
... those darn cut-offs?

Anyone else have this challenge? I have buckets and buckets of project left-overs that were just too nice to throw out. You know how it goes - "boy that's a nice piece of wood - I can't toss it. I'm sure that sooner or later I'll find a use for it." Every piece is nice and every piece is a one-of-a-kind shape/size, as well as variety.

I know, I know - make wooden toys. Heck, I don't have enough time to make the things I want to - let alone take up time just to use up those darn cut-offs.

What do you do with them?

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
take pics and place ads on here. to help test, or a piece might inspire someone on here.
Get some money for the tool fund.

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Posting them here with pics is a very good idea. I know Eagle likes to dumpster dive everytime he can get up to Woodguys!!:rolf::eusa_clap:lol::-D

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm not sure what to do with them and yes, I have the same problem. What I can suggest is where to put them while you figure out what to build with them. I've seen a couple of different "cut-off storage bins" in various places on the net. The Cut Off Catch All is at http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/st...latedata/wood/story/data/452.xml&catref=wd103

Issue 94 of ShopNotes has a plan for Cutoff Storage; http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/094/extras/cutoff-storage-bins/

I sure I'll build something like this... and I need to build it soon :roll:

Ray

clowman

Clay Lowman
If you don't want to sell them, and can't bring yourself to dump them. You can always post them here, either for sale, free, or trade. Another worthwhile thing to do is to box them up and send them to the KMI project (Kids Making It) for pen stock, if you think they would make nice pens. They are located in Wilmington.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
What kind of a market is there for cut-offs? They are not all exotics or rare finds, in fact most of them are ordinary sorts such as SYP, some cherry or perhaps oak or maple, etc. I suppose pen makers could use them - heck they are certainly dry enough by now!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
junquecol (Bruce) will probably be starting the toys for tots projects soon, maybe you can wait until he sees this.
Joe

lottathought

New User
Michael
I thought that this rule had been established and was VERY clear.

When you have those cutoffs....You send them to ME!!!
:gar-Bi:neener:

cskipper

Cathy
I thought that this rule had been established and was VERY clear.

When you have those cutoffs....You send them to ME!!!
:gar-Bi:neener:

Oh no, no, no. I've had dibs on scraps much longer than you. If I can make an ornament or trivet - I want it.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i'm with jeff give them away. tree cycle. be it a toy trinket or firewood if you give enough away you will save a tree.

as a 20 yr residential carpenter i know there is a clear cut out there somewhere for all the wood i have gone through

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I save exotics that are large enough to use for accent pieces. Cutoffs from oak, cherry, walnut, etc get tossed in the cutoff bin once the project that generated them is completed. Once the bin is full I burn them.

If the cutoff is wide and long enough it gets stuck back in my lumber shelves. Maybe once a year I clean out the lumber storage and burn the stuff that's been hanging around for a while.

Chuck

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
This is what I made with my cut-offs...
I milled them to size and proceeded to glue them up, then i filled all the gaps with epoxy, the wife loved it and in the end, that's all that really matters...
Thanks for looking
Gary

MikeH

New User
Mike
This is what I made with my cut-offs...
I milled them to size and proceeded to glue them up, then i filled all the gaps with epoxy, the wife loved it and in the end, that's all that really matters...
Thanks for looking
Gary

That's great looking! Great use of scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS