What do I need to know about the paint . . .

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I had a senile moment and a stovetop fire we extinguished shortly after the wife noticed it but not before the thick black smoke and heat had refinished the four wall cabinets most proximate to the conflagration - and significantly discoloring teh wooden T&G Ceiling above them.

So, I dug up the correspondence with Shenandoah Cabinets (LOWES BRAND) to ask if they would sell me enough paint to cover a few doors. To which they replied "call LOWES."

So I went in to ask. They guy I'd ordered the eight grand worth of cabinets from was no more - well, not employed there as far as one could tell. Instead, a female employee much concerned with starting here vacation when she got off at seven wasted my time advising that "We have an excellent paint department and, if you bring in a door they can match the color before listening to my request to get the identical paint first applied 'at the factory' so I might understand what sort of equipment would be required to properly/best apply the material to my prepped cabinet doors.

She contacted Shenandoah and came back with 'it's water based" and you can brush it on!

Meanwhile, she had passed me on to another 'Sugga Bear (really!) ho similarly failed to acquired the requested information - most frustrating.

hat is it exactly, that I should be asking/might expect the cabinet company to know about the $75/quart material they used to color my cabinetry "Linen?"

Anyone? Since I am not expert in refinishing and spray painting has long ago changed from the acrylic? enamels I last purchased decades ago, I'm not sure my lack of specificity is hat Shenandoah isn't offering me the response I think I need.

e.g. what would you need to know about the paint if you were refinishing my cabinet doors?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help will be appreciated. Shenandoah is a subsidiary of Woodmark (if I understood Sugah bear correctly.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
If you can find someone at Lowes or HD that actually knows anything I will be impressed. Employees at Lowes are moved from area to area with very little training except how to sell. I would contact Sherwin Williams or a Benjamin Moore dealer. I worked at an Ace hardware (Ben Moore dealer ) in NH many decades ago and we could not only match the color but the same brand finish.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
"...someone at Lowes or HD that actually knows anything ..."

Hey, I worked at HD Kitchen Design Center years ago - bought nine shares @$40. They must be doing something 'right.'

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charles, I’m sorry for your troubles. If it is a water born product it’s an acrylic conversion varnish. I would recommend you take a door or drawer head to a Sherwin Williams and tell them you wanting a water born conversion varnish they can match the color from the drawer or door you bring them. Now this product is a two part mix with a short pot life and has to be sprayed.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Sherwin Williams have people that will talk you. Look for a branch that is the one that services contractor more. They usually have a couple ppl on the staff that are knowledgeable.

Shenandoah Cabinets are made by American Woodmark Cabinetry corporation. They are centered out of Winchester Virginia. If you call them you need to ask for technical support, then state you are a contractor trying to match or repair their cabinets, , then ask what type of products they are using for the finishes.

Likely, it may be a Valspar product, but do not know now, been a long time since I used any Lowes Cabinets

Anyway, they can get you to the right dept to talk to.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Sherwin Williams have people that will talk to you.
Ha, if one is a paint contractor that may be true. I have been a long time very satisfied HD paint customer but need to refinish some kitchen cabinets and had heard NCWW members rave about SW and thought I would give them a try. I carried a door from our kitchen cabinets for a color match and recommendations for the type of paint to use. After waiting for two employees to wait on and buddy - talk to an obvious contractor I was finally given some attention. It seemed to be a major inconvenience to perform the paint match and the "expert" wasn't sure what type of paint I should use. Fortunately I had researched the type that would be best and bought that. I primarily wanted confirmation. He only perked - up and became courteous when I began writing my check.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Ha, if one is a paint contractor that may be true. I have been a long time very satisfied HD paint customer but need to refinish some kitchen cabinets and had heard NCWW members rave about SW and thought I would give them a try. I carried a door from our kitchen cabinets for a color match and recommendations for the type of paint to use. After waiting for two employees to wait on and buddy - talk to an obvious contractor I was finally given some attention. It seemed to be a major inconvenience to perform the paint match and the "expert" wasn't sure what type of paint I should use. Fortunately I had researched the type that would be best and bought that. I primarily wanted confirmation. He only perked - up and became courteous when I began writing my check.
I’ve found this to be very store dependent. Once I found the right store it’s been a great experience with SW (as I would expect given their high paint prices!).

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Charles, I’m sorry for your troubles. If it is a water born product it’s an acrylic conversion varnish. I would recommend you take a door or drawer head to a Sherwin Williams and tell them you wanting a water born conversion varnish they can match the color from the drawer or door you bring them. Now this product is a two part mix with a short pot life and has to be sprayed.
I missed the "If it's" first time I read this! So maybe they thought telling me it was 'water based' should have been enough information?
Sherwin Williams have people that will talk you. Look for a branch that is the one that services contractor more. They usually have a couple ppl on the staff that are knowledgeable.

Shenandoah Cabinets are made by American Woodmark Cabinetry corporation. They are centered out of Winchester Virginia. If you call them you need to ask for technical support, then state you are a contractor trying to match or repair their cabinets, , then ask what type of products they are using for the finishes.

Likely, it may be a Valspar product, but do not know now, been a long time since I used any Lowes Cabinets

Anyway, they can get you to the right dept to talk to.

The more I look at the mess that is my 'linen white' kitchen, the more I think color matching is tilting at windmills and I might do as well or better shooting everything with another color entirely. I suspect I might find a suitable material for less than the $75/QT Shenandoah quoted - or have things gotten that bad already?

I will try the contractor dodge and see what I can get from Tech Support. However, a two-part product with a short 'pot time' may well be beyond my ability to apply properly - another reason for forgetting the match making idea.

Indeed, I might be better off hiring a contractor to do the work and hope I can find one less expensively than replacing the cabinets entirely. Frankly, the wife wanted the white against my (Better, as it turned out) judgement. She, watching TV Shows and me living in kitchens people actually cook in ;) In the army, they had kitchens you could hose down with hot pressure water - clean as whistle as I recall the one at Ft. (an effing rebel - I learned about two years ago) Bragg.

I'll add to this pot should anything new and interesting develop.

Thank you for the feedback & Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays as appropriate.

Charles

Charles:

Perhaps a commercial finish supplier (to millwork and cabinet shops) may help you. In the past, I have taken the sample finishes from interior designers, along with bare wood samples of the material to be finished, and they have been very helpful in figuring out the finishing process (it may be more that just a stain/paint), as long as you buy the materials from them. It may not be cheap, but at least you will be prepared for future mishaps. If you take a sanded door to them along with a finished door, they may be able to help you as well, as the answer to your finishing question may be immediately obvious to someone who does this all the time.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Tone

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS