What CNC’s do you all have, and what software are you using for CAD/CAM?

ethanferguson

Ethan
User
I’m just curious as I got a Shapeoko 2 12”x12” cnc router about 10 years ago and used it a few times a year.

I’ve been using Inventables Easel software for design, but would love something with more design flexibility, but without a very steep learning curve.

Photo below of my most recent project, a sign for a local yoga studio

IMG_5484.jpeg

Artisan Pirate

Artisan Pirate
Corporate Member
I have the original Rockler Shark Pro Plus CNC Machine and I use an older version of V Carve Pro by Vectric.
I do have a few videos on my YouTube channel using the machine

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Laguna Swift vacuum 4x8 and run Aspire as well as Creo for CAD. I think youll find Vectric products are probably the most widely used design/programming software for hobbyist type CNC machines. Lots of YT content avail to learn it as well.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Self designed home built 3' x 4' aluminum and steel machine running Centroid Acorn controller...4th axis rotary indexer with 100mm chuck, and 14 watt Jtech laser...I use Vectric Aspire for design software and sometimes I use Rhinoceros 7 for CAD.

Last edited:

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Hi Ethan,

I really like that sign. Nicely done.

I'm using a ShopBot PRT96 (circa 2002) with ArtCam PartWizard (standard software that came with the machine) to generate the cut files.

I typically use TurboCad to generate the .dxf files that PartWizard accepts ... and generate specific cut profiles for individual depths/tools as needed.

PartWizard accepts vector files in a number of formats, I find .dxf to be the most error-free ... but there are issues that I work around as needed.

I should probably upgrade to V-Carve, but my CNC use has dropped quite a bit over the last two decades (that's a long story for another time).

Oh, the ShopBot is a 96" x 48" x 6" X-Y-Z capable machine that will handle full sheets of plywood. Still using the original 3.25 HP Porter Cable router ... did have to change the brushes about 10 years ago though.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Scienci LongMill MK2 30 X 48 with Vortex (rotary). Vectric VCarve Pro for CAD/CAM software.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Shopbot 48 x 48 PRT Alpha. CAD/CAM - VCarve Pro, although I also use Sketchup for some designs, then export as a DXF file to VCarve.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Avid Pro 4848 CAD/CAM - V-Carve Pro. I have used Sketchup and am working on learning Fusion 360.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I have the Shark HD510 and use Vectric VCarve (free version). My son is good with Fusion 360 and Sketchup but for most of what we've made it's been on Vectric.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
ShopBot PRSstandard 4x8. Vectric Aspire 10.5 (getting ready to upgrade to 12 when it's released)

John Marquis

John
User
This week I finished building a MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC). I have been using the free version of Fusion 360 and Estlcam. The learning curve is pretty steep. I have been able to successfully carve out a few test projects. I'm looking forward to learning more.

Echd

C
User
Vectric / vcarve pro is the way to go IMO but having proficiency in fusion is also very helpful and it isn't nearly as daunting as it first appears.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS