WG Disease 1, Chuck 0 (new toy!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
After posting here I spent a day poring over online reviews and looking for good deals on lathes. I had kinda settled on either the Jet 1442 or the 1642.

LOML and I made the trip to the big city today and stopped at Klingspor's to look at the lathes. They offered me a very nice discount - Thanks for the heads up, Doug. :icon_thum

But they didn't have any 14 or 16s in stock or on the floor for me to look at. :tinysmile_cry_t:

So we went to Woodcraft. They had the 1442 on the floor and I looked it over pretty good. LOML liked what she saw...then asked if they would price match. Yep. We picked out a few tools, an instructional book, and loaded two heavy boxes in the truck.

It rained on the way back to Rocky Mount and I had to offload piece by piece into the shop. Wiped everything down pretty good but will probably see water spots/rust for the next week or so.

I started her up and ran but didn't make any chips - tomorrow should be fun though.

Pics for proof.

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_13101.JPG

Chuck

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess this was tool buying day in Raleigh. Nice score Chuck :icon_thum.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Sweet Chuck! Glad I could help (lead you to the dark side). :gar-Bi But seriously, gongrats! I should have stated that I got the last 1642 in stock. It was actually the demo model at Klingspor. Good wheeling and dealing on your part, and good for Woodcraft!

I am working on my first bowl/plate.

Dont forget that a good sharpening system in critical.

Doug

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
way to go ddddoooowwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn the slippery slope!
That is the same lathe I got and I've had 0, none, nada, zip problems with it. Hope it serves you well! Can't wait to see some masterpieces coming along in the near future.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Let me know how you like those lathe tools, I looked at some in G'boro woodcraft but not knowing the name I was afraid of them. They have a huge bowl gouge I'd like to get.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Chuck,

Nice score. I really like it when WGD takes over one's facilities. :gar-Bi I was in the big city yesterday also, surprised we didn't run into each other. Now if you really want to get some LOML support, get her out in the shop and turn her on to turning. If she takes to it, look out tool budget. :rotflm:

Nice addition

Mike

sapwood

New User
Roger
Oh boy, here we go again :wtongue:
Let's see, Chuck :eusa_thin
You will soon need a small one for pens, then another one for you lovely wife, and . . .

Great to see you back in the saddle again :gar-Bi

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I read up a little on techniques today and then dimensioned a few spindles and played with the roughing gouge. A bit intimidating at first but I got more comfortable after a few sticks. It was pretty cool to make round stuff from flat, square stuff. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

What's a poor man's tool sharpener? I was going to use my belt sander for a while. I have a 6 inch bench grinder (Sears) and may get a few new stones (Norton 3X 60 and 80 grit seem popular). What do you folks use to true/dress the grind stones?

I have a set of waterstones I use for chisels...are they worth using for lathe tools?

Chuck

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Chuck:

The angles are pretty important. Your grinder may work if it is a slow speed grinder. However a jig would really help to present the tool to the wheel at the proper angle. Other wise just ask bas to sharpen them on the BAs-o-mate 2000 (Worksharp). :rotflm:

Next time you come to Raleigh give a holler and I'll show you my two set ups. We can then discuss turning novice to novice.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS