Wet Stone Wheel, Which way is correct?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Picked up a small wet stone with an electric motor attached. Motor is fried, so I an putting another one on. Scratching my head wondering should the stone turn towards me or away? Does it matter?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Depends on your jig set up.

And what do you prefer?

If I had one and had the option to change or leave it, I would want the wheel turning away at the top.
Easier to see what's going on.

Scott H

Scott
User
Picked up a small wet stone with an electric motor attached. Motor is fried, so I an putting another one on. Scratching my head wondering should the stone turn towards me or away? Does it matter?

Is the wheel attached with a nut? I know on bench grinders the wheels are attached so that the nuts will tighten rather than loosen in the natural direction of rotation, so that may be a clue.

I have never used wet grinders so take that with a grain of salt.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
First pic is with a motor I had, so I can have it spin both direction.

Attachments

• 24060BF7-F739-4034-A48F-8456E027112C.jpeg
    24060BF7-F739-4034-A48F-8456E027112C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 140
  • EDFA1B02-D48C-4753-8762-8B265ABBE509.jpeg
    EDFA1B02-D48C-4753-8762-8B265ABBE509.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 140
  • CB4FC27B-B20F-439B-B9CB-B11956E907FB.jpeg
    CB4FC27B-B20F-439B-B9CB-B11956E907FB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 135
  • 92206A3F-9A42-4C2F-823F-C1B3C65CCAE0.jpeg
    92206A3F-9A42-4C2F-823F-C1B3C65CCAE0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 126

gmakra

New User
George
Mike hit the nail on the head. What has not been covered is water discharge if the wheel spins torward you water will get scraped off the top of the wheel and ride over what ever you are sharpening and deposit on your bench. If you have it spin toward you from the bottom water mostly is captured and returned to the well.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Thanks Bob, that cleared it up, lol. Seriously as Mike said in the beginning, what do you prefer? Mike is like that wise turtle in the Kung Fu Panda movie.
Master.jpg

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I got the wheel cleaned up and operating. Some issues I don't know if it is worth spending more money.
1. Stone is out of round and not flat
2. Stone is too course
3. Positioning a chisel or any other blade and being able to hold it consistently, ahhh not gonna happen.
4. Need to mount a frame over the stone (like on other sharpeners) and a jig that holds the blade on the frame.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Thinking maybe I unintentionally insulted Mike by referring to him as a wise turtle. That was not my intention, it was said with respect to the great advice he gives. So if I did insult, I sincerely apologize.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh no! I thought that was funny.
If I get insulted I’ll let you know for sure.

I’m pretty sure you can get that stone round though, may have to wear out a couple of those diamond dressers. Rest it on something steady if you don’t have a tool rest. It will make an intermittent scraping sound like swish…silent…swish…silent. As you get closer to round the swish will be longer and the silent will be shorter until it is all swish. Then you should be good. That may take out some of the too rough as well.

EDIT:
looking at the photos I see you have a tool rest. So I think just dressing the stone should get you going. Also remember this is designed to be run with water. That will make some difference in the performance.

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a Tormek and mount the support arm with the wet wheel turning toward the blade. You can gauge how level the edge is touching the stone by watching the water on the blade. Then I switch sides for honing off the burr with the leather wheel turning away from the blade.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS