Weeping Willow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Parsley

New User
Brad
A coworker of mine mentioned he had a weeping willow tree cut down this weekend, and wondered what it was good for. He said the main trunk was 8' and around 1' in diameter.

Ideas or thoughts on willow?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Turning wood comes to mind, and I would try a few pieces if you can get them:thumbs_up:thumbs_up.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Willow is good for practice turning wood. It's quite soft and doesn't cut well but will help you learn good tool techniques. As far as lumber, there are much better woods out there to use. At that size of a log you won't be able to get much out of it.
Willow is bland, and tends to fuzz badly. As it is a fast growing species it doesn't have much strength, and rot resistance is nil.

ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-301-W.pdf

MTCW,
Dave:)

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I had some willow and used some of it for scrolling that worked out well. I turned some small platters that didn't work out so well. I made a jewlery chest that is a miniature version of the chest of drawers she had for a sister that came out nicely. I did it that one with handtools from a single piece of wood. It is soft as mentioned so worked well with hand tools.
I've never turned a large piece, but only because I haven't had one...
Worst you can do is get some practice - go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS