Weeklong class

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Just curious if anyone knows of any weeklong beginner to intermediate woodworking classes? I can’t commit to a few hours at night every week for several weeks so I would like to take a week of PTO from work to attend.

Thanks in advance.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Two schools I would recommend within a 6 hour drive are:
1. Jason Bennett's Fine Furniture in eastern Tennessee. Jason is a super good guy, great teacher and patient.
2. Woodworking school of Shenandoah valley

Last edited:

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious if anyone knows of any weeklong beginner to intermediate woodworking classes? I can’t commit to a few hours at night every week for several weeks so I would like to take a week of PTO from work to attend.

Thanks in advance.
There are some gift certificates for training in the raffle and in the silent auction at the picnic.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I agree with Dave and one of my former employees went to the school in the Shenandoah valley and his skills were more than excellent. I have heard great things about Jason Bennett's school. I went to the North Bennet Street school in Boston as well as Wooden Boat builder in Arundel Maine after retiring from the military and they are both excellent.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
If you do not have a jointer or planer then the Jason Bennett school is best. He buys and dimensions all the wood used which saves an enormous amount of time. For the Shenandoah school you bring the dimensioned parts which took me a long time to procure, glue and surface. The Shenandoah school has made period pieces or repaired them for the White House, Smithsonian and Williamsburg for years. His school is smaller so you get plenty of attention. He has a large sawstop, 2 bandsaws and other equipment. Jason does all the tablesaw work since his machine is not a SS but you will gain plenty of experience with bandsaw, router tables and hand tools. There are a few other schools if you want to PM me

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Bill Anderson is resuming teaching in his home shop outside Chapel Hill. I often use stuff that I learned from there him years ago. Check the PDF in his post:

Last edited:

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Here are the website links to the schools in adjacent states

If you were to combine school with vacation, this woodworking school is excellent and in a beautiful part of our country. Their beginning class focuses on handtools and sharpening and well done.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
If you want less than a week, many of Roy Underhill's former instructors can be found teaching at Wood and Shop traditional woodworking school in Virginia.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
J.C. Campbell Folk School.
I took a wood turning class last year (my wife took a weaving class) and we're ready to go back.
Never been, but have folks in our woodworking community who have gone and highly recommend it. Aparantly the after class social evenings are just as good as the in class tuition.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Ralitaco, I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to the North Carolina Furniture School. We offer classes right in line with what you are looking for, in fact we just concluded a week long Introduction to Woodworking course last week, that included a day on machine tool safety and operation, two days of hand and machine tool joinery, and one full day of finishing. Most of our students come here again and again, and they travel from all over to attend. So I would hope you would consider us as an option. If you have questions, I will be glad to talk with you by phone. 252.916.8226

my best,
Stuart.

Kelly

Kelly
User
Just check out Marc Adams School of Woodworking in Indianapolis. I have been there for week long classses 13 times. He has gotten into other disciplines like forging hardware but it is still a woodworking school.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Thanks in advance.
check out John C Campbell Folk School web site

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors