Wax

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I thought I'd try one with all the new waxes that have come out recently.
Decided to go with Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Caramic + Graphene Paste Wax. (Gotta love the name)
I used it on my car and was really impressed. Easy on/off and it left a great shine. Water beaded up real nice and has lasted longer than the Carnuba blend I have been using.

So I tried it on my desktop (a cheap IKEA type). It's a working desk so it's well used. Subject to scrapes and food and drink spills.
It's been about two months now and I am very impressed. It has survived all the usual desk abuse including spilled coffee.

So I am retiring my remaining can of JPW and will be using the Turtle Wax from now on.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Hopefully someone with more of a chemical mind can tell if anything in here will interfere with finishes.

Attachments

• 53492_HS_Ceramic__Graphene_Paste_Wax_Cal_WebForm_IDD_062321.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 45

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
You apply it after the finish has cured. How can it "interfere"?
I've used it over General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Minwax poly with no problems.
I wouldn't suggest using it under a finish or on tools.
Although I don't think it would be a problem to use on tools. The finish is too hard and I can't see any rubbing off.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I wouldn't suggest using it under a finish or on tools.
Although I don't think it would be a problem to use on tools. The finish is too hard and I can't see any rubbing off.
Berta’s mention of tools and your mention of replacing JPW.

I’m on the lookout for a JPW replacement and was under the impression that any silicone products on unfinished wood can cause finishing issues (“fisheye” comes to mind). Most recommendations are to avoid silicon products on machine surfaces with some not even using it on machine non wood contact surfaces (shafts, trunions,etc).

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
If you wax your tools with car wax, I would assume the raw wood could contact the wax. Fine woodworking magazine agreed:
Most car waxes contain a substantial fraction of silicone wax, and usually can be buffed quite effectively by hand. There's a slight possibility that the silicone in the mixture could affect some kinds of finishing products, notably laquer.

When I worked in the finish department at KraftMaid Cabinetry, using hand cream with silicone could have gotten me fired.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
If you look at the datasheet that Zach posted you will see there is no silicone in the mix,

Even so, the usage I'm saying worked better for me than any other wax I have used is on finished furniture.
I'm not suggesting you use it on tools; although, as I said, I don't think it would be a problem.
Actually, I'm not suggesting you use it at all. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, it works great on finished projects and I will continue using it on my furniture.
YMMV

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
If you look at the datasheet that Zach posted you will see there is no silicone in the mix,

Even so, the usage I'm saying worked better for me than any other wax I have used is on finished furniture.
I'm not suggesting you use it on tools; although, as I said, I don't think it would be a problem.
Actually, I'm not suggesting you use it at all. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, it works great on finished projects and I will continue using it on my furniture.
YMMV
Sorry to say but all of the "siloxanes" are silicones. I'm not suggesting it's a problem, just stating a fact.
The risk is not the use on finished furniture, which should be fine, but on unfinished wood that you may later stain and seal, particularly with water-borne stains and sealants. Hence, Berta's well-founded warning.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I've experimented with Nu Finish car wax on acrylic polyurethane finishes, mostly because I wanted non-yellowing clear. It has Silicone, but I don't coat machine surfaces.

The wood surfaces haven't had a lot of wear/tear, but the sheen was nice and also consistent. I did find that any excess leaves a white powder that's difficult to remove. Did you see that with Turtle wax?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I've experimented with Nu Finish car wax on acrylic polyurethane finishes, mostly because I wanted non-yellowing clear. It has Silicone, but I don't coat machine surfaces.

The wood surfaces haven't had a lot of wear/tear, but the sheen was nice and also consistent. I did find that any excess leaves a white powder that's difficult to remove. Did you see that with Turtle wax?
No residue.
Sorry to say but all of the "siloxanes" are silicones. I'm not suggesting it's a problem, just stating a fact.
The risk is not the use on finished furniture, which should be fine, but on unfinished wood that you may later stain and seal, particularly with water-borne stains and sealants. Hence, Berta's well-founded warning.
Why would anyone apply wax to unfinished wood before staining?
But I guess someone might so I guess the warning is appropriate.
Just like on a bottle of epoxy, that says:
WARNING - Do not swallow, Causes serious eye irritation, etc.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want to wax you tooling consider using mold wax. It is also often called mold release wax. They do not contain silicone. Then you can also use parafin wax or bees wax.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
No residue.

Why would anyone apply wax to unfinished wood before staining?
But I guess someone might so I guess the warning is appropriate.
Just like on a bottle of epoxy, that says:
WARNING - Do not swallow, Causes serious eye irritation, etc.
They wouldn't - but the warning is about coating machine surfaces that the bare wood then rides against. So --- WARNING - Do not coat machine surfaces that are used to machine unfinished wood. Can cause stain blotchiness, etc.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS