Waterlox refinish question

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I built my dining room table back in 2015 and finished it with Waterlox original (the finish has held up great over the years) but when I made the table I made it with 90 degree edges which tend to dig into your arms when sitting at the table. I want to go back and add a small round over to the top of the table but I am curious about the finish. Will I need to completely sand down the top and refinish it or can I do the round over and then add new finish to the edges?

Table.jpg

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Waterlox OSF easily overcoats itself, unlike polyurethane. There is no need to abrade the coating for adhesion purposes, but it wouldn’t hurt to scuff sand the the table top with 600-1000 sandpaper..

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I agree with Robert. The Waterlox should not be a problem. What may be a possible short term problem could be the color difference of what you remove down to in the round over compared to what won't be touched. I'm sure the sun and environment have changed the surface color of the wood over time. While it should even back out with time (depending on the wood) it may be noticeable in the meantime.

It looks like the dog's food and water stand may have been built about the same time from leftover scraps? If so that would be a great piece to experiment on first.

BTW - Nice set of matching dinner tables. Well done! :)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I agree with Robert. The Waterlox should not be a problem. What may be a possible short term problem could be the color difference of what you remove down to in the round over compared to what won't be touched. I'm sure the sun and environment have changed the surface color of the wood over time. While it should even back out with time (depending on the wood) it may be noticeable in the meantime.

It looks like the dog's food and water stand may have been built about the same time from leftover scraps? If so that would be a great piece to experiment on first.

BTW - Nice set of matching dinner tables. Well done! :)
Dog's water bowl was made years later actually, I used polyurethane on the top of it and it did not hold up well to all the leaking water from the dog's mouth, Waterlox or spare urethane maybe a better option for it.

mpeele

michael
User
On the freshly routed edges I would apply a first coat of WaterLox cut 50/50 with turpentine then a full strength coat or three. WaterLox sells a sealer now which I think is a cut version of the product. For years the 50/50 first coat is what they recommended then they started selling a "sealer". I would not refinish the whole thing unless it needed it. I always rub out my finishes with 0000 steel unless I want a gloss finish.

Where there is water involved WaterLox is always a better option.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS