WATCH WINDER

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
Hello, I have been asked to make a 6 watch auto winder for mechanical watches with a glass top, the "box" itself with a top is not an issue I think I can safely say we all have made boxes but does anyone know where to get the mechanism that winds the watches? Has anyone made one before or have a few ideas?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have never heard of such a thing. My thumb and forefinger is always handy.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't recall seeing anyone post a project remotely close to being an auto winder since joining. I thinks there's a lot of Google and YouTube in your future.

@Berta @Bill Clemmons some watches "wind" automatically while you move. An auto winder is kind of like a spinning watch box that keeps those types of watches wound when not being worn.

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
A Google search for ”watch winder mechanism” brings up several starting around $16 on Amazon that you could mount in a box. Want to see what you come up with as a finished product.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
So you need a winder for automatic watches. Basically some that shakes the watch on some schedule.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
So you need a winder for automatic watches. Basically some that shakes the watch on some schedule.

More like "spins" the watch.

5fbcf695b005e537542cbfc257998f1f_original.gif

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I think I don't have much of a choice but to follow Martins advice and buy a winder for 6 watches remove the guts and build a custom case around it. I am a bit surprised you can't just find the mechanical s for a winder without buying the whole thing. But after watching a handful of YouTube and some Google I'm going to take the same approach I use when building furniture, make one for myself to workout all the design issues and possible kinks before going forward and building the client one, I only have two watches that auto wind this way so it will be a cheap build for me LOL.
I am either going to like this or this is a one and done and stick to building furniture.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I have a couple of them - one for 4 watches and another for 1 that I bought. If you want the name so you could purchase one and then replace the existing box with a custom let me know.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I’m a “watch-guy” myself, and have had winders in the past, (specifically for a perpetual calendar/date watch I had, that was a real pain to re-set to the correct date, to keep the perpetual date function working accurately), but don’t use winders anymore myself. That said, if you do go that route, I’d recommend a decent quality mechanism, as some of the cheaper ones have a reputation of magnetizing the inner-workings of a mechanical watch over time- no bueno at all.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Best watch winder I ever had was a ninety pound jack hammer. Didn't take but a couple minutes of use to completely wind a watch.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors