Wanted: Yellow Pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Most local builder's supply lumber yards carry it. Around here, to get the yellow pine, you will need to buy nominal 8" width (ie 2 x 8. Anything smaller is SPF unless you go to the 16' length. Most are right at 6/4 and actually about 7 1/2" wide. Even though it is "kiln dried", is has been dried fast and has a lot of stress in it. It will probably twist or bow some setting in your shop, even stickered.
The last batch I got at Builder's Discount Center had one 8 footer I could get cleaned up and flat/square at 1 1/4" thick. The rest I had to cut to about 5' length to get the twist and/or bow down to where I could get 1 1/4" clean. Around here they are about $4 for an 8' 2 x 8 (about $0.40 a bf nominal, but considering there is as much waste as sawmill lumber, it is actually closer to $0.60 a bf.)
All the sawyers around here I know sell the pine to Georgia Pacific.

Might be a possibility for you.
Go

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Some Home Depot stores carry it. Just make sure you buy the boards during the week (Tue - Thu is best), not during the weekend. The moisture level varies, I would not call it dry but it's not too bad. Plan on a few weeks of acclimating in your workshop.

Sometimes, it's better to buy the longer boards (e.g. 2x8x16') and have them cut in half as opposed to buying the shorter boards. I've found that the longer boards tend to be slightly higher in quality.

Bas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS