Wanted to Trade…Clamps

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I have 2 Bessey clamps (36”) and 2 Bora clamps (40”). I’d like to have 4 of the same. The Bora clamps are about 1/16” shorter in height than the Bessey. I haven’t mastered glue-ups but I think matching clamps would help. Thanks.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I haven’t mastered glue-ups but I think matching clamps would help. .
Bill - sorry I don't have clamps to trade with you (I have clamps, but neither of those brands).

Can you describe the issues you think that matching clamps would help? Maybe we can help with the core issue if that is understood.

I have difficulty 'seeing' how matching clamps would make any difference. I think that most of us do have multiples or at least pairs of clamps in a specific size, and that is convenient in the 'getting to enough clamps to accomplish what you are trying to do'. However I am completely baffled as to how clamps that differ by 1/16" make any difference at all in a glue up - I use mis-matched clamps all the time.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I’ll use a chess board as an example. I lay the 8 boards down to glue and when I clamp the boards, they tend to not be flush across the top. I don’t think I’m tightening too much. I’ve tried using a makeshift caul but that’s not working either. The boards are all jointed and planed so the same thickness. I thought but having a flat surface across all the clamps would help. As it is, I put the bessey clamps on the outside (taller) to ensure the boards are flush to the clamps when gluing.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This has worked for me. Don't overtighten the clamps before adding the cauls. Just tight enough to get some glue squeeze out. Once the cauls are on then go back and tighten the clamps a little more.

Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I would put two of the same brand on the bench to glue up the chessboard and then lightly clamp the strips as Scott suggests. Then put the other two clamps on top facing down and tighten all the way. Then fully tighten the bottoms.

1638114308653.png

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
The boards on the edges is a good idea. I don’t have many smaller f clamps and they seem like an ideal clamp for that purpose. Appreciate the input.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The boards on the edges is a good idea. I don’t have many smaller f clamps and they seem like an ideal clamp for that purpose. Appreciate the input.
Home Depot typically has a Black Friday clamp set - reasonably priced.
If you are close to a Harbor Freight their F clamps are very serviceable and I have not had any issues with them - and I have at least a dozen in various sizes. THey have sales too.

And while I have not attempted such a piece as yours, I have done many a table top, - I while I get close to even and level as possible, there is always (some) more surfacing to do at glue joints...at least for me. I expect it. I would be thrilled to glue up that many pieces and have every joint line up perfectly - not likely to happen (for me).

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I have 2 Bessey clamps (36”) and 2 Bora clamps (40”). I’d like to have 4 of the same. The Bora clamps are about 1/16” shorter in height than the Bessey. I haven’t mastered glue-ups but I think matching clamps would help. Thanks.
So make some clamp stands with an adjustable slot depth. Color mark the stand for the right clamp: Red for Bessy, Orange for the other. Base is 4"x6" as is the upright. All sorts of clamp bars can be set to the same exact height. I've been using many of these things since 1988 but only recently did I decide to make the slot height adjustable with a single drywall screw. I let the top rail of the clamp stick above the clamp base about 1/16". That normally makes the top of the clamp bar (pipe, whatever) about 4-13/16" off the bench assuming 3/4-ish plywood.

A bunch of random photos below, but you get the idea.

1    clamp base - 1.jpg1    clamp base - 2.jpg1    clamp base - 3.jpg1    clamp base - 4.jpg1    clamp base - 5.jpg1    clamp base - 6.jpg1    clamp base - 7.jpg1    clamp base - 8.jpg1    clamp base - 9.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was fortunate and bought some Plano clamps from Steve (@blazeman45) who made me a GREAT deal...
I used them to glue a facing strip to a plywood shelf... WHAT a PITA!

But, I pulled them apart (on purpose... LOL) and used the extrusions simply as cauls with F-clamps (as Martin - @Martin Roper suggested) to keep the glue-up flat!

BTW I have a BUNCH of Horror freight F-Style clamps and they are more than functional... and while hung beside my bessey F-Style clamps, I usually grab the HF ones first...

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
So make some clamp stands with an adjustable slot depth. Color mark the stand for the right clamp: Red for Bessy, Orange for the other. Base is 4"x6" as is the upright. All sorts of clamp bars can be set to the same exact height. I've been using many of these things since 1988 but only recently did I decide to make the slot height adjustable with a single drywall screw. I let the top rail of the clamp stick above the clamp base about 1/16". That normally makes the top of the clamp bar (pipe, whatever) about 4-13/16" off the bench assuming 3/4-ish plywood.

A bunch of random photos below, but you get the idea.

View attachment 206321View attachment 206322View attachment 206323View attachment 206324View attachment 206325View attachment 206326View attachment 206327View attachment 206328View attachment 206329
That is a great idea. I don't throw away / burn wood so I'm sure I have enough scraps laying around. The drywall screw in the slot is simple yet brilliant! Thanks.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I was fortunate and bought some Plano clamps from Steve (@blazeman45) who made me a GREAT deal...
I used them to glue a facing strip to a plywood shelf... WHAT a PITA!

But, I pulled them apart (on purpose... LOL) and used the extrusions simply as cauls with F-clamps (as Martin - @Martin Roper suggested) to keep the glue-up flat!

BTW I have a BUNCH of Horror freight F-Style clamps and they are more than functional... and while hung beside my bessey F-Style clamps, I usually grab the HF ones first...
Hmm...you don't strike me as someone unwilling to part with $495 for a single clamp. I'm sure Steve gave you a sweet deal. I was fortunate to get some nice Sapele from Steve not too long ago.

I did see some Jorgenson F clamps at Lowe's for $30 for a set of 5 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-5pk-Steel-Bar-Clamp/5001993731) which seems like a steal!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hmm...you don't strike me as someone unwilling to part with $495 for a single clamp. I'm sure Steve gave you a sweet deal. I was fortunate to get some nice Sapele from Steve not too long ago.

I did see some Jorgenson F clamps at Lowe's for $30 for a set of 5 (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-5pk-Steel-Bar-Clamp/5001993731) which seems like a steal!
@Bill_L :p :D :p :D :p :D
I would NEVER spend $495 on clamps - Even the Bessey's I have purchased were NEVER full price - someone once told me that he would buy lunch just so the moths didn't escape from my wallet and embarrass him at the restaurant! LOL (just a joke, but not too far from the truth...)

But then again, I would spend a couple hundred dollars at an auction on something with questionable provenance or, redeeming quality (the rusty the better) or no "real" intended future use other than "Hey, that is pretty cool!":cool:

I too have a set of the Jorgenson F-Clamps, but I thought it was 6 of them, but maybe it was 4... so $7.50 each (or if it was 6 then $5.00 each) but again the Horror Freight version is $2.95 or $3.95 each... and they really work well... (see how cheap I am to think in depth about two or three dollars? I told you so.. LOL)

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I’ve kind of picked up on your frugalness. I think you’d go so far as to only ask ‘a penny for your thoughts’ versus ‘what are your two cents’ just in case you had to pay up.

for whatever reason no emojis come through on my phone or iPad. I’m totally kidding ;-).

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... The Bora clamps are about 1/16” shorter in height than the Bessey. I haven’t mastered glue-ups but I think matching clamps would help. Thanks.
So make some clamp stands with an adjustable slot depth. ...

So it wasn't until I read Bob V's post about clamp stand that I understood your issue - in essence the height of the bar in use when the bar is below the work. Thanks Bob for 'gluing' me in (sorry, cluing me in!) to what Bill was actually asking about.

In my defense, I think the reason I did not understand is that I do not generally have the bar of my clamps in contact with the wood. This is mostly because I also use pipe clamps for larger glue-ups and pipe clamps can stain the wood when glue is in contact with both the wood and the bar. This stain can go surprisingly deep and be difficult to remove - hence I try to keep any and all clamps only in contact with the sides of the glue-up, not the surfaces where excess glue may be.

Secondly, if I were gluing up something with 4 clamps, I'd likely have 2 below and 2 above - hence matched pairs below and above and then the issue would not arise.

Sorry for misunderstanding your question Bill - glad others understood more easily than I and could help.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Jorgenson F-Clamps I thought it was 6 of them, but maybe it was 4
$28.48 Jorgensen 5pk Steel Bar Clamp Item #3831122Model #93701 Includes a set of 2 6-in bar clamps and 2 12-in bar clamps and 1 4-in clamp Maximum reach is 2-1/2 inches from edge of bar to center line of screw Maximum load limit is 600 pounds.

So, split the difference!
Last year, the 'package' at Lowes did NOT include the 4" clamp but was closer to twenty dollar (when I bought the set of 2-6 nd 2-12 inch clamps 'cause they are pretty, bright orange - "Popi's favorite color."
All my other BAR clamps are HFT's The older HFTs (silver bar, wood handles) were weak, then they upgraded (twice I think) to arrive at the dark bar and Blue/Grey handle design they offer today.

My grandfather would say "'tis a pour workman what blames his tools." He died before I ever heard him say it, but it was repeated many times over the years and it stuck.

Today we have expended creative 'arts' to those whose tool is rather digital - yet they claim to have crafted it. Even there, one cannot blamed one's water jet - only the programmer.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS