WANTED - Parf guide borrow or rental

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds Good Rush.

I don't have it yet and it will take me some time to get my top done so hopefully you are not in a hurry?

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now this is what "community" is all about and one of the many reasons I love this forum. As a side I am going to be building a new top for my bend in the not too distant future and definitely want to get in the queue down the road.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Sounds Good Rush.

I don't have it yet and it will take me some time to get my top done so hopefully you are not in a hurry?
Thanks, Hank. I'm not in a hurry, and I've heard from John so he and I will coordinate once he's been able to use it for his project. I've been thinking I should give an MFT table a try in our shop, largely to facilitate quicker/easier use of our track saw for breaking down panel material. I'm thinking of a design that will incorporate this into a new outfeed table for our table saw, but perhaps also as a work surface I can mount on the moveable flip top cart in which we've mounted our DeWalt 735 planer. Small shop -- everything has to serve multiple duty! Now that I know a version of a Parf Guide is available for loan, I'll work on the plans for both.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, Hank. I'm not in a hurry, and I've heard from John so he and I will coordinate once he's been able to use it for his project. I've been thinking I should give an MFT table a try in our shop, largely to facilitate quicker/easier use of our track saw for breaking down panel material. I'm thinking of a design that will incorporate this into a new outfeed table for our table saw, but perhaps also as a work surface I can mount on the moveable flip top cart in which we've mounted our DeWalt 735 planer. Small shop -- everything has to serve multiple duty! Now that I know a version of a Parf Guide is available for loan, I'll work on the plans for both.
I think that is a good idea - I saw this video you might be interested in:

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
This is a very nice offer, Chris! If I were within a shorter driving distance, I'd certainly take you up on your offer. Perhaps some others closer to you will do so.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes, thank you Chris - that is VERY generous, and like Rush - the problem is getting you the material, having you work it and then getting it back from you!

BUT, I will keep it in mind for a few other things that I am thinking about...

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Yes, thank you Chris - that is VERY generous, and like Rush - the problem is getting you the material, having you work it and then getting it back from you!

BUT, I will keep it in mind for a few other things that I am thinking about...
Im sure it wouldnt take but a few minutes to run one, bring it and wait

Bming1

New User
Brandon
I’m the guy @Martin Roper borrowed the Parf guide from, and am happy to loan it to anyone else local to or willing to pick it up from Durham. It’s a weird size (comes in a long cardboard tube), and I don’t want to ship it for fear of it getting damaged. I’m rarely on the forum these days, so please send me a direct message, and I think I’ll get an alert via email.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’m the guy @Martin Roper borrowed the Parf guide from, and am happy to loan it to anyone else local to or willing to pick it up from Durham. It’s a weird size (comes in a long cardboard tube), and I don’t want to ship it for fear of it getting damaged. I’m rarely on the forum these days, so please send me a direct message, and I think I’ll get an alert via email.
Thank you for the offer Brandon. We are passing around Ken's Woodpecker version, slightly different from the Parf guide... but I think it will work! (at least for what I want it for) (PM sent as well)

JonBuildsThings

New User
Jon
Just a warning for anyone wanting to use the Woodpeckers Hole Boring Jig: It does not work well with the Festool OF 1400 router (despite them showing this router specifically on the product listing page). The snap in guide for template bushings has a little bit of play in it and when putting lateral pressure on the bit the bushing can move a bit, leaving you with a hole that is oversized/not perfectly round.

I ended up borrowing a Bosch router from a friend and after taking some time to make sure everything was centered properly/clamped down tightly/etc. it worked well. Had I known what I know now when making this purchase, I would have bought the Parf Guide system over the Woodpeckers option as it's a bit more foolproof, but so long as you take your time during setup, you'll end up with a nice top.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a warning for anyone wanting to use the Woodpeckers Hole Boring Jig: It does not work well with the Festool OF 1400 router (despite them showing this router specifically on the product listing page). The snap in guide for template bushings has a little bit of play in it and when putting lateral pressure on the bit the bushing can move a bit, leaving you with a hole that is oversized/not perfectly round.

I ended up borrowing a Bosch router from a friend and after taking some time to make sure everything was centered properly/clamped down tightly/etc. it worked well. Had I known what I know now when making this purchase, I would have bought the Parf Guide system over the Woodpeckers option as it's a bit more foolproof, but so long as you take your time during setup, you'll end up with a nice top.
Thank you Jon, that is VERY helpful.
I always wondered about the "snap-in" guide on the Festool. (never had one) but it seemed like an afterthought. I am surprised that they have not developed something different to make that bushing connection 100% secure.

JonBuildsThings

New User
Jon
Thank you Jon, that is VERY helpful.
I always wondered about the "snap-in" guide on the Festool. (never had one) but it seemed like an afterthought. I am surprised that they have not developed something different to make that bushing connection 100% secure.
This seems to be a fairly well documented issue, going back at least 10 years. I called Festool to complain that my shiny new $700 router had less functionality than one costing a third the price and they basically shrugged and said I could RMA it and they'd let me know if it wasn't working as intended (I didn't bother as I already knew what the answer would be).

For my test plunges, the OF 1400 made a hole that looked perfectly round to the naked eye, but had just the tiniest amount of slop when inserting a bench dog. If you were just making an assembly table and not relying on it for any sort of cutting, it would probably be fine. My bigger concern was that the indexing pins weren't holding the jig completely still, and my holes would get progressively worse as the slop would compound from row to row.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors