Wanted: Onsrud Overarm Pin Router Model 2003 Operating Instructions.

rivens

New User
steve
I use one of these inverted routers every week. what kind of things do you want to know?

Lowell Mate

New User
Lowell
Want to understand how best to operate it. Recommendations for setting up templates, how to adjust the foot pedal, do I need to vacuum clamp my templates, many many considerations.

rivens

New User
steve
I'll touch on a few things. The foot pedal on the one I use is just up and down, no adjustment. There are 3 depth stops on the machine. usually use at least 2 stops for 1/2" to 3/4" deep cuts . up cut bits tend to loosen in the chuck and wonder up into the cut. Keep the part moving as the bit comes up. this limits heating up the bit. keep the cut speed (moving around the cut) fairly brisk, again limits heat build up. Vacuum forms are really nice and pretty easy to make. really hold piece secure. If you are routing large tops or some such run air channels in the jig for better vacuum holding power. If you have parts that have waste that can be cut off, templates with screws work very nice. The dust collection work very well on these machines so be sure to have dust collection hooked up. I can send pictures of some templates if that is helpful. Watch out for the pinch points inside the machine when making adjustments. when using the stops have something to to stop the lever from going to other stop settings that are not involved in the part you are working on. Check for play in the pin. any play translates to the cut. Just a few things I could think of at the moment.

Lowell Mate

New User
Lowell
I'll touch on a few things. The foot pedal on the one I use is just up and down, no adjustment. There are 3 depth stops on the machine. usually use at least 2 stops for 1/2" to 3/4" deep cuts . up cut bits tend to loosen in the chuck and wonder up into the cut. Keep the part moving as the bit comes up. this limits heating up the bit. keep the cut speed (moving around the cut) fairly brisk, again limits heat build up. Vacuum forms are really nice and pretty easy to make. really hold piece secure. If you are routing large tops or some such run air channels in the jig for better vacuum holding power. If you have parts that have waste that can be cut off, templates with screws work very nice. The dust collection work very well on these machines so be sure to have dust collection hooked up. I can send pictures of some templates if that is helpful. Watch out for the pinch points inside the machine when making adjustments. when using the stops have something to to stop the lever from going to other stop settings that are not involved in the part you are working on. Check for play in the pin. any play translates to the cut. Just a few things I could think of at the moment.
Thank you. I appreciate the information.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS