Wanted: Geared Head drill press

Phillip Mitchell

Phillip
User
I’m looking for a small to medium size geared head drill press. Something like an 18-22” Arboga, Solberga, etc, but open to other brands. 3 phase preferred, less than 75” total height, manual feed, proper running condition.

I’m in the Boone area, but am willing to drive up to 3-4 hr for the right machine.

I realize this is more of a metalworking tool, but you never know what’s out there.

Email me at phillip@stillwaterwoodworks.com or call/text me at 828-964-7105 if you have something that may fit the bill.

Thanks!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have seen them show up on Craig's list occasionally. Might have to be patient. There is that used equipment store in Charlotte that has mostly industrial tools.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had not heard the term "geared head drill press" before. I see they are more expensive. What makes them better than a normal drill press?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Heavier duty, run smoother, higher torque, change speeds by lever. Usually a much heavier and accurate machine seen in metal production shops. Want to run a 2 inch bit through 1/2 inch plate steel? Not going to do that in a hobby belt driven drill. Things that won't fit on your Bridgeport.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Not advised. The bearings in a drill press are not designed for lateral loads. If you need a mill, get a mill. You can get away with light, plastic, or maybe aluminum and an X-Y table, but no substitute for the right machine.
Reminds me, I should sell my X-Y as I have never used it. Note once. Now, a mill makes a very nice drill if you need precision.

Phillip Mitchell

Phillip
User
Thanks for the comments. I regularly keep tabs on all the online classifieds including Craigslist. I have been looking more seriously for the last 2-3 months, but will continue to be patient for the right machine and deal to pop up. I have had good luck posting wanted ads here before for fairly specific items and figured it couldn’t hurt.

Definitely looking for a used machine. New geared head presses are out of my budget.

Phillip Mitchell

Phillip
User
I would love a Bridgeport style milling machine, but simply don’t have the space for it. One good thing about the smaller geared head presses like Arboga and Solberga in particular is that they are very compact in depth, width and height which makes all the difference in the particular spot in my shop I have earmarked for a press.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS