Wanted - 2 1/4" plane iron

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
This morning at the MWTCA meeting I picked up a nice older 5 1/2c that takes a fairly odd iron size, 2 1/4" wide. The plane is in great shape, but the iron is just about used up. I could order a Hock replacement, but I'd prefer a factory iron. Is there anyone out there who has one they'd be willing to part with?

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Is that one the same as the no.6? If I remember correctly the made 2 different sizes of 5 1/2?

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I believe that it's the same size as the 6 of the same era, with later 5 1/2s and 6s using a 2 3/8 iron. I could always get one that size and file it down to size, I suppose.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The Hock (or any replacement iron) is better. Be aware they are thicker and you‘ll probably need to adjust the frog or maybe the mouth.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I'm going to reach out to Ed Lebetkin today and see what he has. I also met a nice guy named Roger (last name escapes me) from PA at the meeting yesterday who said he may have one. We'll see if either of those fellas has one.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ed's tool store (above the Woodwrights [Roy's] Shop) is closed.

When I need something specific I go to Michael Jenks
Just plane parts plus he has created quite a lot of content about planes

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Ed's tool store (above the Woodwrights [Roy's] Shop) is closed.

When I need something specific I go to Michael Jenks
Just plane parts plus he has created quite a lot of content about planes
Thanks, Hank. Yep, I know Ed has closed the store but he was at the MWTCA meeting yesterday and had a table set up. I talked to him about an iron and he said he'd look through his stock to see if he had one. Fingers crossed.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, Hank. Yep, I know Ed has closed the store but he was at the MWTCA meeting yesterday and had a table set up. I talked to him about an iron and he said he'd look through his stock to see if he had one. Fingers crossed.
That makes sense - I wondered what he did (guessing he couldn't get rid of everything as quickly as he needed to...

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
That makes sense - I wondered what he did (guessing he couldn't get rid of everything as quickly as he needed to...
I think it was his plan all along to stay in the game a little bit. He'd probably go crazy without the chance to talk with folks about tools. You know how much he loves to talk.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Wrapping this up for now - Ed found a marginal Stanley iron and an iron from a transitional plane and they're in the mail headed my way. He tells me that the transitional iron is thicker than the stock Stanley but does fit onto a chip breaker, so we'll see if any plane mouth filing is required.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
@Chris C I thought I saw a post from you here but it appears to have been deleted. I tried to PM you but the system won't let me do that. PM me if you're interested in discussing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors