Walnut wood movement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
I am almost done with a stool with legs of maple and top of walnut. Here is a Sketchup jpg of the project. (I'll submit a real picture when done)
FBC_stool2skp.jpg

It is 12" x 16" on top and my question is about wood movement and attaching the top to the legs and apron. Is the walnut top likely to move with humidity? or is it small enough not to worry?

I was going to attach with pocket hole screws and glue? Or should I skip the glue and just go with table top clips in a groove? I want it to be secure because kids are likely to use it and I don't want it coming loose.

Thoughts?
Dan

M

McRabbet

I'd fasten with pocket screws, but drilled straight up through the aprons. Fasten in a tight hole in the center of the short aprons and provide slotted holes for the long sides across the apron (I assume top grain runs lengthwise in the top; you probably only need 1/8" of wood movement allowance). JMTCW and HTH

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Cool design :icon_thum

Looking forward to seeing the finished product !

pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Definitely no glue, you will get movement. It's hard to say how much, but you will get some, some time. If your apron is thin enough Rob's method is excellent. The table top clips work very well also, as do shop made wood buttons that work under the same principle. You won't have any strength problems with any of the above mentioned methods.
Walnut is not a particularly "squirmy" wood. You can always plan for movement and never need the allowance. Or you can not allow for it, and later possibly wish you had.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS