Not open for further replies.

price griffin

New User
slick
2 end tables.jpggun stock 1.jpggun stock 2.jpg

price griffin

New User
slick
Pretty stuff! The colors are interesting.

What sizes are they?
The colors will turn dark they are only that color because I just ripped them and washed them off with water hose. They are already turning darker than they were eariler. The smallest one which is one of the bottom pics and will be gun stocks is 20" long and 17" wide the other one is a few inches bigger both ways. And the other 2 are 30" long and around 22" or so inches wide at the bottom

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
How thick are the slabs? I'm sure some of the sawyers on the site will chime in with some tips on drying it properly. That is really weird that it looks lighter after being washed off with the hose. It is my experience that wood generally looks darker when it is wet. I have never dealt with freshly cut wood though.

price griffin

New User
slick
How thick are the slabs? I'm sure some of the sawyers on the site will chime in with some tips on drying it properly. That is really weird that it looks lighter after being washed off with the hose. It is my experience that wood generally looks darker when it is wet. I have never dealt with freshly cut wood though.
The slabs are around 3 to 3 1/2 inches thick and its pretty much the center part has some moisture content to it, the tree has been down for around 20 years. We were cutting firewood in a pasture and my buddy use to live on the property about 20 years ago and he told me he to see if the tree was still there. Sure enough it was and after beating my way through the briars and smaller trees that had grew up around it i managed to salvage about 6 or 7 foot of it.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
First, let me say that I am not a gun owner or a hunter but I did help a friend make a gun stock a number of years ago.

As I recall the instructions we were following specifically warned to use straight grained wood. Figured wood had the risk of failure. Unless you are knowledgeable in making stocks, you might want to get some advise.

price griffin

New User
slick
First, let me say that I am not a gun owner or a hunter but I did help a friend make a gun stock a number of years ago.

As I recall the instructions we were following specifically warned to use straight grained wood. Figured wood had the risk of failure. Unless you are knowledgeable in making stocks, you might want to get some advise.
Ive made a few stocks and not had any problems.. even made some out of cedar just because I had a few pieces here and they did real good also.erics gun 2.jpgh and r stock.jpgh and r forearm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors