walnut outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclark

New User
Kevin
How well does black walnut hold up outdoors? From what I have been reading elsewhere, it does pretty good. I want to do a patio table out of black walnut and white oak.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
How well does black walnut hold up outdoors? From what I have been reading elsewhere, it does pretty good. I want to do a patio table out of black walnut and white oak.

WO heartwood (not sapwood) does well outdoors, like most wood it'll turn gray pretty quick if you don't finish it with a good UV protector. Also try an avoid glue if you can - your going to get a ton of wood movement, just because that's the nature of the great outdoors. I'm not sure about BW, I've not seen much rot in BW logs so maybe it's ok, I just don't know for sure :dontknow:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
  1. As you might guess after looking in my photo file, I really like BW. Walnut for outdoor use is a bit shaky. Why? Most times it fades so much you can barely tell its walnut. Gray wood is gray wood.
  2. Maybe you have a stack of it you are hoping to use up?
  3. Just a thought: Use black locust. That stuff is so tough outside I would put it above cypress for durability and maintenance hassles. Here in NC(Forsyth Co.) I have seen some fence posts that were pulled up and the wood looked great.
I tend to over use walnut and maple for indoor use and avoid using it outdoors. That's just me.

dan

truckjohn

New User
John
Yeah... While Walnut allegedly works well outdoors... the beauty fades fast....

I think Locust, Cedar, Cypress, and others would be great choices too....

Oaks also can do well outdoors... They don't rot much... but they do move a whole lot with the moisture changes... Finishes tend to flake off pretty bad... They are also quite porous - so you gotta watch out for stuff getting into the wood...

If I was going to use Oak outdoors - I think I would try limit them to places where they would stay out of the weather....

Thanks

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yeah... While Walnut allegedly works well outdoors... the beauty fades fast....

I think Locust, Cedar, Cypress, and others would be great choices too....

Oaks also can do well outdoors... They don't rot much... but they do move a whole lot with the moisture changes... Finishes tend to flake off pretty bad... They are also quite porous - so you gotta watch out for stuff getting into the wood...

If I was going to use Oak outdoors - I think I would try limit them to places where they would stay out of the weather....

Thanks

+1 for black locust although it moves ALOT - be leery of using titebond II. I made a checker table out of QS black locust with a eastern red cedar drawer to sit on the porch, the top was glued up with titebond II. I had to re joint and re glue the top with titebond III - after a year and half - so far so good. Titebond (polyurethane glue) is a PITA to work with - run tape on either side of your glue line and peel off before the glue sets up real good else you'll be scraping till the cows come home.

246.jpg

325.jpg

146.jpg

423.jpg

532.jpg

Thanks

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Re: walnut outdoors4/4

I live in the Durham/Raleigh area and I have found it in quantity at the local sawmils. It comes in on the logging trucks and they cut it for railroad ties and other ground use applications. Price per log is less than ashe or oak so you pick the log and and mill it to your needs.

I don't find good locust at wood dealers as a rule. If you check with Hilton Peel up at the shop in Gibsonville, he can usually find in milled to boards.

regards
dan

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Sorry for the tease... I milled it myself - I had a large diameter log that came in on a mixed load of hardwood that I quarter sawed into 5/4 boards and had kiln dried with a load of red oak. Be forewarned Black Locust will put a hurting on any cutter you throw at it. In order to get the saw mill to cut it right I had to regrind a band saw blade to darn near 0 degree hook angle, then the woodmizer cut it well. Once dry Black Locust will laugh at your table saw, jointer and planner blades. Not to mention what it does to sand paper, I had to progressively work it up starting @ 40 grit and finished at 220. It's just some down right tough stuff, it's no wonder it lasts so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS