Walnut Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Well, here are the pics. The chest was started approximately 37.5 months ago in KC, MO. Three moves, a complete design change after all the boards were glued up and a bunch of tools later, I am drawing the curtain on this act.

This was my 1st project and it definitely got me hooked on woodworking. I have learned a mind numbing amount of knowledge from start to finish, mainly through errors but some by reading and listening.:-D

Fortunately I moved to this area, found this website and received many tips as well as help from individuals like Wayne and Scott. I probably should have started out with a smaller 1st project.

Wood is walnut (KC & NC purchased), lined in cedar, raised panel construction, breadboard ends for the top. Finished with waterlox, then shellac, lacquer and then paste wax.

Thanks for looking but not to closely :-D.

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

tv

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Todd, that is beautiful -

IMG_4692.JPG

Pic for the lazy :-D

I really like the look of Waterlox on Walnut, the amber oils really bring out the richness in the Walnut.
I also like the way you worked with the sapwood on the bottom apron :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Your finish schedule is interesting. Did you have trouble making up your mind....you used just about every finish known to man. Or just wanted to try each of them out ?:lol::lol:
The end results are spectacular....however you got there :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Really nice project, looks great :icon_thum

I just refuse to say nice looking chest dude, I'm not that kinda guy ;-)

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
It was only going to be Waterlox and Lacquer, DaveO. But I had an issue with fish eye on a couple panels. I decided to use shellac to help seal under the lacquer.

Thanks, Jeff, for not staring at my nice chest :-D.

tv

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This'll probably be an heirloom so I'll be polite and won't stare at your daughter's chest either. :roll: Nice job. :eusa_clap

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking chest! I also like the look of the sapwood on the base. Nothing like taking your time on a project!:lol:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome job there, Todd!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Those panels really turned out nice! The grain matching looks super on both the front and side panels. The scroll work on the bottom rails looks to be dead on.

Walnut sure is purdy! (Really impressed with that second pic. great shot of all of that hard work.)

On to the next project. Right!!?? At least this time you shouldn't need anymore major tool investments, right:eusa_shhh:eusa_shhh:eusa_shhh.

Thanks for showin' us the end result! Fine work, indeed!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The infamous chest finally shows itself on NC woodworker!

I think it looks great! Good color and grain match, and a very nice design!

So, what is next on the agenda Todd?

WNC_Dave

New User
David
I know others have said it, but that scroll work on the sapwood is really nice. stands out alot. I alos like the breadboard ends on the top. Very nicely done and the finish looks great.

Dave

botebum

New User
Doug
Very nice work!
Did you get fisheyes from the Waterlox? I've never had that problem unless there was a significant moisture issue. I've always been able to go with Waterlox and no top or Waterlox and a wax top.
I should mention that Waterlox is my favorite finish with just about every project and I'm very interested to hear about your experience with it on this chest.
Again, a very nice piece of work. Congrats!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors