Walnut $1.00 BF

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
This sounds like the wood Sawduster bought some of. There is some waste but at that price it is still a great buy.:thumbs_up

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is the number of the guy that had it. It is in Youngsville not far off of US 1/Capital Blvd. I went out and looked at it a while back. I would guess it will be about 20 to 25 percent waste as there is a lot of it that could be defined as "punky", but for a $1 a board foot it is still a good buy.

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I was there the day Travis was there and picked up some walnut. There was some waste but the owner seemed fair about waste wood. At $1.00
bf. I was more than pleased with what I got . Realisitcally it could be half trash and be a good deal.

Photo of the wide air dried walnut I picked up earlier.

Last edited:

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am assuming it is already dried?

If anyone from the Raleigh/Cary/Apex area goes and has additional room I would take 50bd feet. I don't need particularly wide boards so you could pick and choose what you give me :).

sawduster

New User
Robert
This is indeed the same fella :icon_thum
to date I have purchased approx 250 bf of this wood and I think the 25% waste figure is pretty fair.
He is a super nice guy, but he is not kidding when he says "straight off the pile" . No culling, but he is a very fair man to deal with. The wood has been inside for 10 to 30 years ( he's been collecting it for awhile )
At first glance it looks a little shabby but boy howdy do it look good on the outfeed side of a planer.:eusa_danc I have been pleasantly surprised and happy thus far at the quality and color of the wood. I have even found some ambrosia here and there
I haven't talked to him in awhile so I have no clue how much he has left, but I know he started with a huge pile of wood a couple of months ago.
It's worth looking at if you like walnut :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors