Vertical panel saw plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I am thinking of building a vertical panel saw and doing some research on them does anybody have any plans or older magazines with plans laying around ? I know that there are sources to buy the plans from, but I don't want to pay for something until I know that it will work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You are going to build something?????:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

I have an issue of Woodsmith (or shopnotes) that had one in it that looked pretty good IMO.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Jimmy I'm not trying to interfere with your decision for a panel saw, but I will pass on my experience with one I had years ago. They consume a lot of space. I used mine sporadically and then had to pull all of the things that had wound up in front of it between uses. The wires would get slack and had to be re-tensioned before each use, or so is my memory. And finally, I'm sure it cost more in 1980 than a Festool or Dewalt trac-saw cost now.
I'll sit down now. :gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jimmy, if it were me I'd give serious though to Joe's advice. A Festool trac saw is a joy to use, and it is much more versatile than a dedicated panel saw.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have often thought of building a panel saw but never got past the planning stages. Now that I know you are going to have one I will just come to your house when I need one!!:gar-La;:banana::pepper::beardedbanana::beachbanana:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I will check tonight, but I am sure I have more than one set of plans. Shop Notes and Woodsmith should have at least one each.

Doug

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
As far as the festool or new DeWalt go, the cost is prohibitive ($500-$700) and I still have to haul a piece of plywood (or worse MDF), by myself, up onto a set of saw horses which doesn't solve anything. Right now I can haul a piece of 4x8 material up on my TS and cut it, but I'm trying to get away from working harder.

I have space, spare DeWalt circular saws, and spare wood around so I looking for some thing that might fit my need.

Thank all of you for your suggestions and any articles will help.

And Travis, I said that I'm thinking of, or as you southern boys say "fixin to":mrgreen:,
building one not actually building it................yet. And if you weren't playing in Las Vegas:wink_smil during the last crawl, you would see that I've built alot of shop fixtures.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
And Travis, I said that I'm thinking of, or as you southern boys say "fixin to":mrgreen:,
building one not actually building it................yet. And if you weren't playing in Las Vegas:wink_smil during the last crawl, you would see that I've built alot of shop fixtures.

You could still invite me over sometime other than a crawl. Who knows, you may have some things and ideas I want to [STRIKE]steal[/STRIKE] borrow.:icon_thum

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
FWW, Aug 2000 showed a "break down table that is a lattice of 2 X 4s on a set of banquet table legs. My legs are on their third top now, and soon will be on the fourth top. I use break down table, along with home made guide and B&D Super SawCat to break down sheet goods. This time, I will add flippers to one side rail, so I can turn table on it's side, load plywood on flippers, and then stand table up with plywood already on it.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
FWW, Aug 2000 showed a "break down table that is a lattice of 2 X 4s on a set of banquet table legs. My legs are on their third top now, and soon will be on the fourth top. I use break down table, along with home made guide and B&D Super SawCat to break down sheet goods. This time, I will add flippers to one side rail, so I can turn table on it's side, load plywood on flippers, and then stand table up with plywood already on it.

I like that idea also Bruce. A flip up break down table with folding legs.
Ease of storage, ease of back and ease of use. I've got to add that to my choices.:icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Jimmy, Doug Robinson has two issues of shop notes with two different styles issue 4 and issue 88 with 88 being the fancier one. Instead of pipe it works on T-track. Looks to be a better made unit. It is around 10 pages. Expect an email or PM from him tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Doug's personal secretary.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
As far as the festool or new DeWalt go, the cost is prohibitive ($500-$700) and I still have to haul a piece of plywood (or worse MDF), by myself, up onto a set of saw horses which doesn't solve anything. Right now I can haul a piece of 4x8 material up on my TS and cut it, but I'm trying to get away from working harder.

I have space, spare DeWalt circular saws, and spare wood around so I looking for some thing that might fit my need.

Thank all of you for your suggestions and any articles will help.

Jimmy, I can't fault your logic; sounds like you've got a good plan. Let me know if I can help in any way. Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks every one !

And I look froward to an e-mail from Doug. I'll send him a pm with my regular e-mail.

BTW Travis, like everyone else, you are always invited to come by my shop:icon_thum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS