Veneer Class in Raleigh on 4 June

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Well time is ticking by and next weekend we get together for a day of veneer work/instruction. For those folks who signed up for the class you can expect a variety of veneer options.

I hope to cover some of the following methods and tools:

use of hide glue
how to make a veneer hammer make veneering small projects easy
cutting veneer to match- tools to make it easier
preparing "unruly veneer" to a point where you can work it
demonstration of the different grounds/substrates that you can use to lay down your veneer
preparation of ground materials

demonstrate heat, steam and benefits of hide glue over other glues
demonstrate the veneer press method with a vacuum bag and modern glues

I hope to show how veneer use can make your next project look special. I will bring along some samples of veneer I have cut and some commercial grade veneer for the students to work in the hands on portion. Additionally, I hope to bring along some photos and information for you to take home. I have purchased 5lbs of hide glue to make available for those participants that want to explore the glue further.

29may2016_163.JPG

A piece of commercial veneer readily available from suppliers. This is a piece of mahogany that is relatively flat requiring very little flattening

29may2016_159.JPG

This is a piece of burl veneer that requires preparation before glue up.

29may2016_169.JPG

The drawer here is veneered with the burl. Cockbeading applied around the edges.
29may2016_170.JPG

This drawer in another edge treatment style that's much easier to do. In this case I applied a light color burl to a walnut ground of solid wood. This allows me to join the drawer front to the side with stable wood

29may2016_166.JPG

This panel is veneered with matching grains to the panel next to it for harmony and balance. It is much thicker veneer requiring some other building considerations. When finish is applied, this will jump out in the middle section while the straight grain stiles and rails remain subtle and quiet.

29may2016_159.JPG

burl before flattening it out

29may2016_165.JPG

All of the work presented above was done with the veneer hammer.

What should you bring with you for the class?
A work apron that you can get washable glue off
an old clothes iron if you wife will not miss it.
small meat temperature needle to monitor glue temperature
card scraper

reading glasses if you are like me.

Take a look in the gallery under danmart77 and go to the veneer work folder if you want to see a few more photos.

till then
Dan

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will bring a "Hold Heat" glue pot and some hide glue along with some modern veneer glue (not sure how old it is.) I also have a scraper plane with serated blade I can bring. Looking forward to the class next weekend.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I will bring a "Hold Heat" glue pot and some hide glue along with some modern veneer glue (not sure how old it is.) I also have a scraper plane with serated blade I can bring. Looking forward to the class next weekend.

Ken bring all of those items along that would be great.

Ken I recall you saying you were a "techy" in your first life. I was thinking of bringing my laptop with photos and info on it. If I had a projector maybe it would be easier to show a group without crowding around a lap screen. If you don't have one of those I am on the prowl for one here in Durham. Just let me know on a pm or phone call.

Dan

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan, assuming your laptop has a HDMI port, we can hook it up to my wall mounted large display. Otherwise we can put it on a flash drive and use my Mac.

I am busy getting everything ready for the class. I have the nine veneer hammers assembled and ready for finish tomorrow. I have all the pieces and parts ready to demo vacuum bagging

Plus I was lucky to find cave aged gruyere cheese for the soup course - french onion soup just isn't right without it

Looking forward to this class

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Knowing Phil the food will be just as good as the knowledge transfer - I thought he had a monitor that would work for the display.

Really looking forward to this.

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Dan, assuming your laptop has a HDMI port, we can hook it up to my wall mounted large display. Otherwise we can put it on a flash drive and use my Mac.

I am busy getting everything ready for the class. I have the nine veneer hammers assembled and ready for finish tomorrow. I have all the pieces and parts ready to demo vacuum bagging

Plus I was lucky to find cave aged gruyere cheese for the soup course - french onion soup just isn't right without it

Looking forward to this class

Phil I afraid the food is going to trump the glue tips. It would be just right to have the onion soup cooking along with the smell of animal protein glue in the air to distract the viewers. I don't remember you having a dog but I have to put my dog outside the shop while I'm cooking the glue. A few years back, I thinned it down a bunch and poured it on his dry food. It didn't stop him up and he just wants more now when he smells it cooking. I should have known better.

Till then
Dan

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
My Weimeraner loves to go into the barn after the farrier has been here (for you non-horse people, the farrier trims the horses hoofs and attaches new shoes.) She loves to eat the hoof shavings (unfortunately her stomach doesn't always agree with them) but I understand how hide-glue might be attractive to dogs. Hide glue is made from Horse hide originally and hence the origin of the term 'sending the horse to the glue factory' when they got to old to be productive. A rich history there that would explain the smell I suppose.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am making some finger food. Puff pastry with dijon mustard, genoa salami, various cheeses, etc.
I usually serve with some dipping sauces - we better cover the hide glue

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is the most current roster - let me know if wrong

Instructor: danmart77
Students:KenofCary, drw, jlimey, Mark Johnson, Mike Davis, Danny Batchelor, Johnny R
Host: Phil S

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS