Using Powermatic 66 TS with spliter, pawels and guard assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Howdy all,

I was wondering if anyone reading has experience with using the pm 66 splitter and guard assembly. While this is obviously the older design, the whole guard assembly is clunky. The splitter is thinner metal than the later pm2000 splitter and it also is stationary on the table. The PM2000 moves w/the blade adjustments.

Any tips with getting the splitter aligned properly. Its fairly thin metal and so actually can get bent fairly easily. From the look of it, if the pawels did try to catch a kick back it would try to push the whole guard assembly up. I'm just wondering about opinions and experiences anyone has had with using these. It seems fairly high maintenance with regard to keeping and checking alignment and again is pretty clunky. Yes, it's 30 year old.

~Huck

Attachments

• 2017Feb10.PNG
    2017Feb10.PNG
    45.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 2017Feb09_03.PNG
    2017Feb09_03.PNG
    398.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 2017Feb09_02.PNG
    2017Feb09_02.PNG
    112.3 KB · Views: 283

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Pete, I believe the PM2000 has a riving knife versus a "splitter" that you're describing. I think riving knives are a safety requirement that has been in place for several years.

I see that some OEM splitters are made from a different gauge metal than the riving knives? I have purchased aftermarket riving knives from Shark Guard. They also offer splitters (for PM66) in three different thicknesses.

Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
TENDriver is correct the PM2000 and most of the newer saws use a riving knife that moves with the blade rather than the older splitters, which you've quickly discovered aren't easy to use or extremely helpful.

my suggestion would be to invest in a nice overarm guard

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I have the same saw so I'd be interested in hearing what you end up doing. I'd like to add a riving knife to mine if I found an aftermarket one that would work.

Rick

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Thanks all for the input and help with clarification. I didn't think that a moving riving knife was an option for a powermatic 66 tablesaw. Yes, setting up the splitter is and looks to be a bit of a perpetual chore and unless it's accurately aligned looks to be more of problem maker than a helper.

Richman

New User
Richard
There "USED to be" a riving knife type of attachment for the PM 66 made by Biesemeyer (same company who made the T-Square fence) But production on them was limited and they are now obsolete. My theory is that there were some liability issues or safety concerns and the part was pulled from the market place?

And Biesemeyer is now owned by DELTA and they do not offer anything for the POWERMATIC product line due to the competition? I have considered attempting to create a movable splitter-knife ... but the space between a 10 inch blade and the center trunnion casting is VERY LIMITED and I believe that it may not be possible. Something I need to play with. Meanwhile there are other types of riving knife type splitters that can be used but they do not raise and lower with the blade.

Here is a link to a couple of these types: http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter/reviews/
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...yu9aL22SKPsN-7WgTMnlroXvxej3BHXJH4aAlRV8P8HAQ

Plus you could make your own by using thin strips of wood? Do some googling...

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Shark Guard is the best afterarket splitter I have seen. Although it dosent move it comes with 3 different size splitters and can be removed in seconds

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It appears that the Shark Guard folks may be able to help you retrofit the PM66 with their Adjustable Riving Knive (ARK) system that'll replace your OEM splitter, pawls, cover, etc. Take a look at some of the options in the "Video" section and give them a call.

http://thesharkguard.com/infopm66.html

BTW, do you switch between full-kerf and thin-kerf blades? That has a direct bearing on the splitter/riving knife thickness so it's a discussion point with SG.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
I tell you what. I took me a solid hour with the dial indicator to get the rear and front of the oem splitter aligned to the blade. The splitter is .070 and the blade material is .100 and I'd had the entire thing disassembled to clean and lube.
Shark guard looks pretty good. I don't think it even uses the rear attachment armature though. I didn't see a riving knife option, that looks cool. I'll look into the home made splitter info.
Thanks, ~Huck

btw for all ya'll w/a TS and needing lube, ever used the CRC Dry Lube spray. It's pretty cool, imho.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have the Jet JWTS Contractor saw and am stuck with the fixed splitter and blade guard. I have thought a few times of buying a new saw for the Riving Knife feature, but I have had this saw for 16 years now and it has never failed me once. The only thing I could do was disconnect and remove the plastic blade cover. I feel your pain.
IMG_2305.jpgIMG_2306.jpg

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Hah. LOL, I think it was by removing the clunky guard and pawels that I was able to allign the splitter at all. It would be a real bear with all that installed and flopping about. I still have to attach it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS