Used Machinery,where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCW

New User
John
I've relocated to the Carolinas and am having a very difficult time finding good quality, professional used woodworking machinery. I would like to find a dealer that sells used machines, not just a broker. Also private individual sales are always welcome. I am looking to outfit an entire shop. Looking for a 10' sliding table saw, 12" jointer, 20" planer, 5 HP shaper, 20" or larger band saw, drill press. Prefer Euro or older US made machines in very good working condition, Martin, Altendorf, SCMI, Felder, etc. Not interested in the Asian machines, I've had way too many issues with them in the past.

Also interested in finding a rigger/mover that can handle and transport these machines to my shop.

Thanks in advance for you help.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I've relocated to the Carolinas and am having a very difficult time finding good quality, professional used woodworking machinery. I would like to find a dealer that sells used machines, not just a broker. Also private individual sales are always welcome. I am looking to outfit an entire shop. Looking for a 10' sliding table saw, 12" jointer, 20" planer, 5 HP shaper, 20" or larger band saw, drill press. Prefer Euro or older US made machines in very good working condition, Martin, Altendorf, SCMI, Felder, etc. Not interested in the Asian machines, I've had way too many issues with them in the past.

Also interested in finding a rigger/mover that can handle and transport these machines to my shop.

Thanks in advance for you help.

I think your best bet locally is to keep your eyes on IRSauctions and the like. I have bought alot of industrial grade machines locally in the last 10 years from local furniture companies going under. Sad, but their loss has been my gain, especially for tooling!.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not aware of any dealers of used equipment, but be sure and watch both the area CraigsList and our own Classifieds section. Often both have decent deals.

Some of our advertisers do run their new equipment on sale for very good prices. A 10% off deal on PowerMatic expired yesterday. If you can wait until October, Klingspor holds their Woodworking Extravaganza and almost the entire line of equipment is discounted. (with the usual exceptions of course.)

As Chris mentions auctions are a good source of used equipment. Sign up at Auction Zip or one of the other type referral sites to be informed of ones in your area via email.

Estatesales.net is a referrer that I use to find local sales and auctions.

Last edited:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi John, welcome to the greatest online woodworking spot around. For used machenry check out Asheville Hardware Also contact the Charlotte Woodworking Club.

Pop
:XXcompute

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi John, welcome to the greatest woodworking spot around. For used machenry check out Asheville Hardware & the Charlotte Woodworking Club.

Pop
:XXcompute

Last edited:

JCW

New User
John
I though I replied to this yesterday but must have hit the wrong button?

Thanks for all your responses. There were a couple of links recommended that I was not familiar with, Charlotte Woodworkers Org, Masengills and Asheville Hardware.... gotta make another trip to Asheville, looks like a neat store.

I have a long list of auctions, brokers, dealers, craigslist, woodweb, etc, etc. that I check a couple of times a day for machines. I can count on one hand the number of machines I have seen locally in the past year that I would want in my shop. It is just a different environment here for used woodworking machinery. If I were to go on to craiglist in MA/New England, I could easily outfit a shop in a few weeks. What I could not find there was available from dealers who would have cleaned/checked and guaranteed machines available. The bottom line, is that it is much harder to outfit a shop on a budget in this area. I will admit, I'm also being quite picky as I plan on retiring in a few years and I want to be able either take the machines to my retirement shop or be able to sell easily.

I have also opened up my search to include new machines and am looking at MiniMax and Felder, so any input you might have on these would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a second hand MiniMax 16 Band Saw and it is an awesome machine. The almost 5HP motor in it is the largest motor in the shop. Even larger than the 3HP motor in my SawStop PCS Table Saw. The way it is made with Huge Cast Iron wheels and heavy duty everything is great. I keep a 1 inch resaw blade in it that I use for re-sawing and ripping thick pieces. Talk to Phil S about Felder, he has several of their machines.

And don't forget to enter our raffle, our grand prize is a Felder planer/jointer.

cpw

New User
Charles
NC State Surplus Auction sometimes has some equipment: https://www.ncstatesurplus.com/SSP-SealedBid/
With all of the various state agencies, universities, community colleges, you never know what they're going to have. Right now there's a huge lot of knives and multi-tools. Probably from school or police seizures.

wasmeneh

New User
Mike
There's an add on Craigslist in Wilmington NC today for a complete shop set up. Can't figure out to post a link but it's newly listed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JCW

New User
John
Is Diversified Equipment still around? Their website has not worked for a while.

I did get the email from Felder today, but not a lot of info in it. I guess I'll have to call Rich to see how much of a deal he can make me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS