Uploading/attaching a .pdf file

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I just tried to insert a .pdf file in a new post via Additional Options => Attach Files => Manage Attachments => Browse file => Select File => Upload and it fails. The error message is only "Upload of file failed". The attachment key doesn't have a Max filesize, width, or height listed so I don't think size is an issue. For reference the file is 181 k in size. I'm using FF 3.0 presently to attempt this.

Is there something I'm missing or does this feature presently not work?

Thanks,
Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It failed for me too. I think:dontknow: that ALL post attachments are effectively disabled. That's the way I think I left it. Staff can do a "smalll" attachment. That was by design, but that error message stinks.

Let me suggest if the PDF was woodworking related, then you upload it to the Download Library and then put a link in your post
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Steve's memory is good :)

Looks like only Staff has permissions to include attachments. I think its misleading to have that as an advanced option if its not really available.

I'll take it up with the Staff as to how to handle this.

Brain, if you care to share the reasons you'd like to attach a file to a post, I can include that in our discussion.

Thanks,
Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jim, the "file" is a .pdf copy of a postcard/invite for the upcoming Lazy Daze festival that I was trying to include in an announcement post. I guess I could try to convert it to a diff format and include it in a picture format, but I'm not sure if that can be done or not. :dontknow: I can email a copy of the .pdf if needed.

Thanks,
Brian.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.0.13

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, ok. I think it'd be more fun as a pic.

If its an attachment, folks would have to open it. They can see it in the post as a picture.

If you don't mind, try Steve's suggestion of uploading the PDF to the Download Library (blue tab on the top of the page).

Let me know when its up, I'll grab it from there, and get you a jpeg pic of it.

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Jim, I had uploaded it there earlier in the "Not yet categorized" section but I deleted it. I'll put it back now so you should see it in a sec.

For some stupid reason I was thinking it would show the file directly and not as a link. DUH!!!

Thanks,
Brian.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 (CK-IBM) Firefox/3.0.13

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Cool, thanks for the assistance Jim. :notworthy::notworthy:

Brian.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
You are quite welcome!

Going to close the ticket.

We are discussing the Attachment issue, and will take some sort of action.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS