Upgrade priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallashWoodworking

New User
Kurt
So I have a rigid 10" table saw that works alright. My wood seems to be pushing the blade away from the fence slightly causing a not perfect edge. I am also limited on the use of my jointer as it's only a 6" craftsman. Would you upgrade the table saw or the jointer first?

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like the table saw issue might be an alignment problem. It can be a rather easy fix to to ensure that the blade is perfectly parallel to the rip fence. Refer to your manual or find a youtube videos with some instructions as to how this can be done with your saw.

Good luck.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Right, could be just the fence needs adjustment.

Fix that then get a bigger jointer if that's what you need.

BallashWoodworking

New User
Kurt
I will check my fence and such to see what going on. When I drop my 24" square on it, it seems good, but my square isn't the most expensive one so even if it's only off .2 or .3 degrees that is probably the issue.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I had similar issues with my craftsman, I rigged a dial indicator up in the miter slot and fixed the alignment of the blade with the miter slot first, then worked on doing the same with the fence, giving the fence a couple of thousandths clearance away from the blade at the back of the saw and now it works just fine. It wasn't a real difficult thing to do, and took a 'just ok' saw to 'really good' in a few minutes.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I agree with Phillip. Even my Jet Super Saw, yes that is what it's official name is, needed tweeking when it was in place in the shop. First was to align the blade with the miter slot, then align the fence. Not too difficult, but makes a world of difference. If your blade is not properly aligned with the fence, you won't get accurate cuts, burning on harder woods, and a real safety hazard because of potential kick backs. I never stand directly in line with the blade while cutting, usually a little left of center. If I should get a kick back, I'd just as soon let it hit the wall than me. However, by making the alignment adjustments, I don't experience any kickbacks on my saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS