UPDATED 10,000-15,000 BF walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I just got a call from a friend of mine who is an attorney (okay, no jokes, he's a real estate guy) who put me in touch with someone who needs to move 10-15 THOUSAND board feet of walnut rather quickly.

I have not seen it, it's air dried, he's been collecting it over the past 30 years. It's in storage, and the storage building is being... ahem...well...foreclosed. Don't know when, but it's soon. He says it ranges fron 4/4 to 20/4 with everything in between, all sorts of widths, some prime and some with some problems. He'll take $1/bf, and of course, the sale is ca$h.

It's located near Youngsville, NC. The seller is 76 years old, for whatever that's worth, and I get the idea the wood needs to move within a week or so. There's nothing illegal here, the real estate is what is being sold, not the wood or other things in the storage building.

He also has oak, cedar and maple at another location, we did not discuss price for those woods. He says that is real prime stuff. But he needs to move the walnut due to the...ahem...well....foreclosure.

If you're interested, reply and if you're real serious, be sure to PM me as well. I'm probably gonna cherry pick a Tacoma-load at that price.

If you can take the whole quantity, I'll give you his name and number, but frankly, I don't have an extra $10-15K laying around. Nor do I have a place to put that much wood.

One final note... when somebody doesn't know within 5000 BF how much wood he has, he might be way, way off on his estimate. I'm taking him at his word, but I am skeptical due to the variation of estimate.

update:

Apparently there is significant interest after just a couple of hours. I'll call the guy tomorrow and ask if we can rain down on him on SATURDAY around noon. I'll also ask him if he cares if each of you contact him directly and meet at a mutually convenient time. If we all converge at one time, it is gonna be a mess what with picking, measuring, paying and loading.

For those who asked about sizing and quality, I can't help you. First of all, if there really is 10,000 BF it would take a long, long time to pick through and grade it, assuming I even knew how. Further, one man's trash is another's treasure.

When I get confirmation that SATURDAY noon is a go, I'll post an update. I've got too much going to try to coordinate/administer this deal, so it'll be every woodworker for him/herself.

When we split up the (only) 1,000 or so BF that jeff... found, it took a couple of hours just to sort through and measure the wood. This could easily become a full afternoon if everybody has to get Mr. Walnut's attention, measure, calculate and pay.

If anyone has the time and inclination to come up with a workable plan, jump right in. Otherwise it's just gonna be a free-for-all.

RE: the PMs. I wasn't clear (even to myself) on the PMs, when I said if you were serious I meant if you were in a position to take out the whole load, let me know and I'll put you in direct touch with Mr. Walnut.

Last edited:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Re: 10,000-15,000 BF walnut

Wow. That would be a great price per BF, but I don't need that much! So will he let you cherry pick it?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

If I can pick it I will take a few hundred feet of 4/4 to 12/4

Thanks

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

For that kind of price, I'm interested in 200bd ft or so. 4/4 to 12/4 (just like Phil). Perhaps we could make a collective lumber run to Youngsville sometime this week. For us here in the Raleigh area, it's no that far.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

I'd like to get about 6 pieces of the 12/4 4-6 ft long. If anyone is going from my neighborhood with a truck (don't have one anymore) please invite me!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of - you guys should band together and see if you can buy it.

You can't pick up good grade walnut logs for close to that amount let alone have it sawn and then there's the air drying...

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin

If it's the same guy I'm thinking of - you guys should band together and see if you can buy it.

Jeff, didn't think that you ran with walnut lovin' folks?

Do tell if you know more :help:

I'm interested as well, as long as you can pick through. 200bf-ish.

Any chance someone out that way could scout the stash?

-Kevin

kenger22

New User
Steve

ill buy some, about 200 dollars worth. sending u a pm in when i figure out how to.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Jeff, didn't think that you ran with walnut lovin' folks? Do tell if you know more :help:

I'm interested as well, as long as you can pick through. 200bf-ish.

Any chance someone out that way could scout the stash?

-Kevin

I've hung out with a few walnuts in my time, they saw good - it's the nasty I can't take - sawing green walnut is down right nasty, you know when you have sawn walnut it gets all over you. Plus the dust messes with my memory, like it's not bad enough already... I have to wear a good dust mask and put all my clothes in a plastic bag, then go directly from the mill to the pond. Trust me you guys don't want to see me in my birthday suit.

It's not that I don't like walnut - walnut doesn't like me - it's kind of a love hate relationship if you know what I mean.

Thanks

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

I'd like to get in on a little as well. Bas if your going let me know I'll get you some cash if you wouldn't mind picking for me.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter

I'd take at least 200 bf, maybe more if I can fit it somewhere.

We're over 2,000 bf already, and this was just posted 2 hours ago. I say let's contact the guy and see if he minds us swarming down upon him.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member

I would take 100 bd ft. of 4/4 and 100 bd. ft. of 12/4.

Thanks,
Amy

jaustin

john
Corporate Member

if i said i would take 100bdft of 4/4 where would i have to pick it up at?

would i be able to get some of the wood with an 8-10inch width?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Man, at $1 BF for walnut, I should jump on at least 100 bf of 4/4, but I ain't got no free space. :cry_smile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS