Two UNC Alum Move their NYC "Workshop" to Hillsborough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
http://www.heraldsun.com/news/business/article175311976.html

UNC alums’ furniture startup to take on IKEA from new Hillsborough space

By Zachery Eanes

HILLSBOROUGH After putting up with the tight confines of its Queens, New York, manufacturing space for two years, furniture maker Cardinal Workshop is moving its headquarters to Hillsborough.

A familiarity with Orange County helped.

“(Being based in New York) is tough,” co-founder Dennis Blanco said. “Rent is horrendous and space is tight. It’s not a good long-term solution for us.”

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
North Carolina is known for it's quality furniture manufacturers, so the fit is natural. Glad they have moved their facility here.

Cardinal Workshop

New User
Bryce
Hey y'all,

Tarheelz, thanks for sharing that story! We're thrilled to be moving back to NC. As mentioned, my business partner and I both went to UNC and grew up in the Lake Norman area.

What we're trying to do is adapt the craft of traditional woodworking - mainly joinery - to the most advanced automated technology, which in our case is CNC machinery. We think that by using advanced manufacturing technology, designing with those production methods in mind, AND designing for a more shippable / customer focused experience, we can unlock a new efficiency that can make high quality furniture a little more accessible.

Both my partner and I are 29, and our generation is use to cheap, disposable garbage (Ikea...) We're trying to get people to invest in REAL FURNITURE made in NC!

And to be clear, we are totally using solid wood: ash, white oak, and walnut. We mill it out of the rough in our shop then CNC all the parts.

We're looking forward to getting more connected with the NC woodworking community and this forum seems like a great place to start.

Best,
Bryce

photostu

New User
Stuart
Kinda cool that you guys just joined the site :) I personally was wondering how your model was possible in that geo region, hopefully the overhead here will be much less and you can operate with some better cash flow. Welcome back to the state, I wish you and your business good fortune.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Welcome! Glad you joined the site and I'm interested to watch your progress. As a CNC machinist/mechanical engineer myself working at a start up working in advanced manufacturing I can see a lot of similarities. It is definitely exciting to try and combine new advanced manufacturing methods with old school ways to produce quality products. I look forward to seeing more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS