Two New Benches

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald.woolley

New User
Donald
Several months ago, Durham Urban Forestry decided that our remaining willow oak did not need to come down yet and could get by with a trim (mostly just one large limb). While it was partially rotten and had a lot of twist to it, I was able to make this small hewing bench and shaving horse. Other than some yellow pine I used for the vise uprights on the horse, everything is made from the larger pieces trimmed from the tree.

hew.jpg

The hewing bench is basically a convenient place to use a hatchet for rough shaping of green wood. Unlike an upended stump, it only presents cross grain so the axe will not get stuck. The area around it also shows why I really did not want to do this in my tiny shop anymore. There are two 3/4" holes along the back for when I need to use a holdfast.

shave.jpg

This is an English bodger’s style shaving horse—I did not have enough wood to make a German dumbhead style as was commonly made in NC. It turns out that it is really hard to make staked legs for a shaving horse this without access to a shaving horse, so they were just shaped with a broad hatchet. The fulcrum is three position adjustable for different sizes of stock. This also has 3/4" holes in a line on the back, but I have just been putting pegs in them to push against when I use it like a saw horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS