twisted / warped wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
If the wood is very nice then maybe someone else would have a use for it without the need for such drastic measures. If you got a good deal on the stock then maybe your best bet is to turn it over and cut your losses. Just a thought.

Chuck

It could make a lot of good pen blanks. :) Since it's already twisted it won't take as long to make it dizzy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jglord

New User
John
I don't mean to derail this line of conversation, but are the boards so twisted, you can not flatten them on a 8" joiner?:eusa_thin My concern is the twist may be a result of the grain pattern in the wood and going through all the wetting and drying may not yield the desired results. Sometimes wood with a twisted grain pattern is going to do its thing. When wood is relieved of the constraints of the tree, it will naturally try to straighten the grain. Running it through a planner will not fix the problem, because the rollers in a planner mash the board flat. It won't take out twist or cupping.:lol:
I know Raleigh is a trip for you, but I'd be happy to face join the boards for you, if you decide to go that way.:)

J

jeff...

I don't mean to derail this line of conversation, but are the boards so twisted, you can not flatten them on a 8" joiner?:eusa_thin My concern is the twist may be a result of the grain pattern in the wood and going through all the wetting and drying may not yield the desired results. Sometimes wood with a twisted grain pattern is going to do its thing. When wood is relieved of the constraints of the tree, it will naturally try to straighten the grain. Running it through a planner will not fix the problem, because the rollers in a planner mash the board flat. It won't take out twist or cupping.:lol:
I know Raleigh is a trip for you, but I'd be happy to face join the boards for you, if you decide to go that way.:)

John, I was thinking the same thing but he did say "I have gotten some engilsh walnut that was not properly stacked while drying." If that indeed is the case then the only thing I could think of to correct a bad drying job is to re-dry them right. You could be right about the twisty grain, if that's the case then the log should not have been made into boards to begin with and there is not much of anything that can be done to fix the problem. Maybe slicing it up into pen blanks is your only viable option? A few pics of the end and face grains would help make a sound assessment. That being said:

Do you have a digital camera?

Thanks

lhmayberry

Les Mayberry
Corporate Member
John & Jeff thanks for the replies, the widest boards I believe can be flattend , there are some I don't think is worth trying because you did mention the curves of the grain. I did try to flatten one of the wide boards with a hand plane and after several hours of pushing that thing I was able to see better possibilities.I guess I am trying to get more out of it than may be possible. I did however get this lumber with very little cost.

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors