Tweaked the Beast **w/pics**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It has been awhile since I replaced the table jackscrew dust boots on my 20" planer with the nice red motorcycle fork boots. After installing the boots I had to re-align the table. I quickly found everything on the planer was out of whack, including the four blades. The blades were a little dull so I installed the spare set, and went through a complete alignment of the machine. For the life of me I can't see how anyone can set blades on a planer with the basic, Delta, non-magnetic, alignment bar (see pic), especially when the cutter head has blade springs, instead of jack screws. It might be ok for an initial gross alignment, but nothing precise.

P1300049.JPG

I have a cheap HF dial indicator in my shop so I made a little horseshoe shaped hardwood base to mount the gauge. I couldn't find the proper blade setting dimension in the manual so I used an average of the other blades which came out to just a tad over 1/8". I followed the planer alignment procedures outlined by Bob Vaughn in this excellent FWW video tutorial. The dial indicator worked great- I may have been a little anal, but I carefully worked until I got blades, table, breaker bar, and outfeed rollers all set w/in + / - .001 of spec!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Now the beast planes, much, much better. During testing I discovered that I need to pay attention to grain direction again which I didn't need to do much with the Shelix on the 15". I also think I should have honed the blades first, maybe the next time. Do you all hone your blades before installation???

Here is my alignment gauge. It is made from Ipe. I drilled and tapped a hole for a locking screw to hold the dial indicator. The indicator mounts both tip down to set the blades, and tip up to set the rollers, pressure bar, and chip breaker.

In the next version I will change the shape/size so the tip will extend lower towards the cutout in order to measure bed roller height. I need to find a broad tip for the dial indicator also.

P1300043.JPG

P1300045.JPG

P1300048.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Tweaked the Beast

Looks great. How about gluing a spent .22 or larger cartridge to the indicator tip if you're only going to use it on the planer?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Re: Tweaked the Beast

Like I said You should change your name to Tinker.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For this application, I like an AGD group 1 dial indicator. It is smaller than the HF unit You can get one from ENCO (www.use-enco.com). Currently on sale for $9.99. With 22pc tip set -$13.59. Item # RS605-4011 (with tip set.) For a flat tip, you can unscrew the cone tip that came with HF dial indicator, and use the end of the shaft.

J

jeff...

I know you have to be pretty precise when cutting synthetic HD45LU-3 rocket fuel module substrate - good job - when are you going to design the wings and tail fin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS