Tung Oil on ambrosia maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinCwalina

New User
Kevin
Hello,
Attached is a photo of a chest that I have been working on for some time now. Its a replica of a piece I saw at the Grovewood Gallery and really liked. I have been thinking for some time about finishing it with Tung oil so that I dont loose all the figure in the wood and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it and might be able to offer some suggestions on thinning, heating, applying the finish as well as dry times.

-Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 625

erasmussen

New User
RAS
This is ambrosia maple, with BLO and shallec, maybe that will let you see what it looks like with an oil finish

DSC01566a.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally I wouldn't use Tung oil. I think it's over rated as a finish, it takes a long time to cure and provides little protection and no more "grain popping" ability than BLO. IMO your best bet is a BLO, gloss poly and MS blend 1:1:1 (home made Danish oil) it will dry fairly quickly, offer better protection, and can be wiped on for a hand rubbed look.
BTW that is a beautiful looking piece, great work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I'm with DaveO on this. BLO mixed with gloss spar varnish or minwax oil based poly is the best and easiest finish for this type piece. You simply can't mess up this finish. BLO as a result of the shorter cure time, looses the smell a lot quicker than tung oil too.
Rob

KevinCwalina

New User
Kevin
Do you cut the boiled linseed oil with mineral spirits? If so what sort of proportion do you suggest? Going to try and make up a sample board this weekend. How much time do you let it dry for between coats?

-Kevin

poppop

New User
Don
I also believe everyone has there own preferences I use1/3 of blo, tung oil aand gloss polyurethane. let dry over night and burnish with 0000 steel wool between coats. recoat until you are satisfied with the look. Ive used it on all kinds of wood with great result
good luck with your piece it is really great looking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS