Truth in Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
While surfing Craigslist, I came upon this website (http://www.wooddoors.com/) offering "white mahogany" doors and "premiere oak" doors.

"White mahogany" to them is Hura crepitans L aka "Sandbox tree". Not at all related to 'real' mahoganys Swietenia or even Khaya. On the plus side, the Sandbox tree's sap can be used to poison darts :swoon:

"Premiere oak" means Ficus glabrata aka "Wild Fig". Not a Quercus to be found in that geneology.

Be careful out there people.

-Mark

DavidF

New User
David
While surfing Craigslist, I came upon this website (http://www.wooddoors.com/) offering "white mahogany" doors and "premiere oak" doors.

"White mahogany" to them is Hura crepitans L aka "Sandbox tree". Not at all related to 'real' mahoganys Swietenia or even Khaya. On the plus side, the Sandbox tree's sap can be used to poison darts :swoon:

"Premiere oak" means Ficus glabrata aka "Wild Fig". Not a Quercus to be found in that geneology.

Be careful out there people.

-Mark

Outrageous, people shouldn't buy from suppliers like that, thanks for pointing that out.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ah hence the need for real Latin botanical names. One of my favorite that is rampant among the flooring industry is Rubberwood - Hevea brasiliensis. It is often advertised being in the Maple family of woods. Not only is it not in the same genus, it isn't even in the same family Rubberwood is more closely related to Poinsettia (Eurphorbiaceae family) than Maple in the Aceraceae family.
I really hated learning botanical nomenclature in school, but someone has to know it to correct identify flora and fauna.

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like that supplier had a big load of Taurus Manurium to sell! :gar-La;

toolman

New User
Chad
The bad thing is people will buy and thank they got a great deal on Mahogany!!! How sad!:wsad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS