True cost of a good deal!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
I bought a Steel City blower at the Charlotte show. I decided to ceiling mount in the garage/shop. I have a truss system that is 24" in center and built some bracing to hold the weight. When I was checking the fit I stood on the floored part but managed to loose my footing. I'm 65 and have always been safety concious. 23 Years in the Navy taught me that. Ten feet later I was on the concrete floor and crawling to the phone to call 911. I spent 27 days in the hospital and rehab before I could get home. I am wheelchair bound unitl July. I won't share all the details but I broke a few bones and the hospital bill alone is $35,000! Lesson learned.....we can never be too safety concious! I am very blessed to even be alive and cannot wait to get back into the sawdust!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill I am glad that you will recover fully but that is an expensive lesson. Lesson #2 is when in doubt, call your NCWW friends to help.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
God be praised you are alive and healing. When I hurt my back doing a jump at Ft. Bragg I was in the bed for a while. I read a lot of WW books of topics that I dont go out of my way to read, like finishing, sharpening, or some other obscure WW fundamental that you could never know enough about. Heal fast friend.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
i hate to hear that. maybe you can whittle while you're in the wheel chair.

I could try but my right arm is broke and in a sling.....I have a ramp into the garage but every time I try to escape to the shop my wife pulls me back into the house!!!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I could try but my right arm is broke and in a sling.....I have a ramp into the garage but every time I try to escape to the shop my wife pulls me back into the house!!!

ok so whittling is out. get you a magnifying glass and see if you can perfect the art of woodburning images on your front porch, if she won't allow that burn you an SOS into the kitchen table. She'll let you out then.:rotflm:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Sorry to hear of the accident and thankful that, while serious, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Take it easy and heal soon.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Bill I'm really sorry about your fall.Man it could have been alot worse.Just be thankful it wasn't.Hang in there and get better that sop ain't goin no place.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am just over the river from you. If I can help, please let me know. I will be there. Glad you are able to type this thread:eusa_danc.

Dcoop

New User
David
Bill. Sorry to hear about the fall. I am also 65 and I am getting ready to hang a homemade dust collector from the joists in the shop. After reading of your accident I am going to be extra extra careful. Like TracyP I live in Rowan County and if we can be of any help feel free to call on us. David

M

McRabbet

Thank heavens you were not hurt much more seriously, but it sure sounds like it was plenty painful considering your hospital and rehab stays. Here is hoping you'll be back in full form and on your feet real soon. (I had a 3-foot fall 17 months ago that broke 2 ribs and tore my rotator cuff putting me out of my shop for nearly 5 months, so I can truly sympathize with your more serious fall).

I suspect all of us realize there is a strong lesson here -- don't let your personal "machismo" overtake your common sense -- let's face it, anything over 10-15 pounds needs two people to install overhead. If you cannot get help when you want it, wait until you can. And use mechanical assistance for truly heavy items like an air cleaner or a cyclone. That's why they make chain falls and come-alongs. Do it, but do it safely!

Biil, get well soon!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hate to hear this Bill - praying for a speedy recovery - just take your time and let everything heal -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS