Triton Router Collet Slippage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Just got around to putting my Triton 3HP router in my table to make some edge moulding for a desk I'm building (pics to come) and on 3 separate instances, the collet on my new Whiteside bit was loosening and the bit was rising up. Forturnately, the only thing hurt was several feet of walnut :kamahlitu

The collet seems really shallow to me and would like to see if anyone else has experienced this or can give me some direction. Thx in advance

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Hi Randy
I just got the triton 3.25 hp to replace a Craftsman that burned.
I have been spinning a 3.5" ogee raised panel bit in it and haven't had any issue. Are you using 1/2 or 1/4" shank bits?

The collet depth on mine is 1 1/4".

Ken

HTC Products is the US support for Triton http://www.htcproductsinc.com/

HTC Products, Inc.
Home of Triton and Portamate
Information
6520 Bethuy Road
Fair Haven, Mi 48023

586-725-2701-PHONE
586-716-8266-FAX

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
The triton 3HP was one of the models I tested for Fine Woodworking. I don't recal having a problem with it loosening up at all.

It's been quite a while since I did the comparison, but if I recall, some routers had adaptor sleeves for 1/4" bits. If the adaptor is stuck in the collect, unknowingly, it could explain both the shallow collet depth, as well as the lack of tension on the bit.

For what it's worth...

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Randy, I've never had any problems with mine. Somewhere along the line I read you're never supposed to bottom out the bit in the bottom of the collet before tightening. I can't say this causes any issue with the Triton, but it has become a habit for me on several brands of router and I've yet to have a bit slip or (worse) spin out and go flinging across the shop!

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Greg - I'll check again to make sure that nothing is stuck from in the bottom from an adaptor - mine was a closeout model without the above table adjustment. It came with 3 different collets, and a couple of sleeve collet inserts (one black and the other one was zinc plated looking).

I'm running 1/2" shank bit and I usually bottom the bit out and then raise it up before tightening the collet.

Clearly I'm missing something obvious here as the router has always gotten rave reviews, so it must be user error on my part (as usual).

Thanks for all the responses and will update once I've resolved.

Now if anybody can help me get my quick change bit holder out of my new Dewalt 12V drill........:BangHead:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
:eek:ccasion1Guys.....I have had mine slip once...just figured i didnt tighten enough....take a spaceball an drop in the bottom...then your bits will never bottom out

MarkZ

New User
Mark
I've got a PC plunge router and the 1/4" collet always slips on me. It's particularly bad if it gets the slightest bit dusty. I finally gave up on it after losing too much work (or spending too long fixing the work). The 1/2" collet works pretty well but I tighten it hard and carefully.

I've also got a Milwaukee router I've never had an issue with. Different collet style.

Mark

ehpoole

Ethan
I've got a PC plunge router and the 1/4" collet always slips on me. It's particularly bad if it gets the slightest bit dusty. I finally gave up on it after losing too much work (or spending too long fixing the work). The 1/2" collet works pretty well but I tighten it hard and carefully.

It may be time to replace your 1/4" collet. I have several 690 and 890 series PC routers and have never experienced any collet slippage issues (if anything, they grab the bit quite securely; oftentimes *too* securely when brand new!).

That said, you may also want to inspect your collet for any signs of a possible burr or oil deposits. Either of these may allow bit slippage to occur. Oil can be easily removed with alcohol and a Q-tip. If burrs are noted, a fine file should be able to remove the burr. If a burr is the issue it was likely caused by a slipping bit due to an inadequately tightened collet -- if in doubt you can tighten the collet using two wrenches clenched together to ensure a tight fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS