triton rack gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodylarry

New User
Larry
Soon after joining this wonderful place/thing, I had participated in a "wood run", getting 100bf of walnut from Saw4you(jack). It had been sitting in the middle of the shop floor with a fan blowing across it 24hr's a day for the last 4-5 months and appears to now be "mostly dry" . The 8/4 still has a bit more to go.

On Friday, Splint Eastwood was nice enough to pick up a Triton rack for me from turtlewood (thank you Kevin). Matt and I installed it and loaded it today.

Anyone know how much appx 90bf of mostly dry walnut weighs? It hasn't pulled away from the wall yet, and I used extra long lag bolts into the center of the studs, but me thinks I'm a bit over the 660lb rating w/ 90bf walnut and 20-30bf of misc oak/pine/mdf/etc? It'll probably hold ?:XXfridge:

www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/100_1048.JPG

Thats ambrosia, some with live edges, on the left - standing upright. Also from Jack.

Oh, and the 3/4 oak ply in the bottom foregound is from HD cutoff bin. It's a full 4x8 sheet cut in half, for $5.01 each piece. Couldn't beleive it when I found it.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have thought about doing one of those on the back of my shop under the lean to.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hey Larry,

Glad to see you've put it to good use.

And, when selling stuff, great to see that no parts were missing. :eusa_clap I'm always worried about that, even if it was an un-opened item.

-Kevin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dry (8% MC) Walnut weights about 3.2 lbs. per BF so your 90 BF should be 288 lbs. Even if it was green at 4.8 lbs/BF you would still only be at 432lbs.
I bet it felt heavier than that when you were loading on the rack :icon_thum

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS