Trip planned to Asheville/Weaverville area

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Next month I will be accompanying my wife to Weaverville for 3 or 4 days. I will have plenty of time on my hands during the day. Would welcome any suggestions on woodworking stores/places to visit. I saw Mike's post about Scrounger's Paradise and I know there is a Klingspors in Asheville. Where else do I need to go? I live in Wilmington and we don't have much locally here for woodworkers so wanting to take advantage while I can.

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
There is Old Souls Custom Creations in Barnardsville. Just a little hop away from Weavervegas. Rik is a a great guy. His shop is just about 3 min away from my house. Not a storefront, but lots of slabs to drool over.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Have to mention Cormark International. They are an international importer of wood. Located at 179 Reems Creek Road in Weaverville. Doubt you'd be disappointed. Check out their website at Cormarkint.com. Hard for me to go out there and not load up the buggy for the ride home. Jason always makes me feel at home. Main Street Grill on South Main in Weaverville is another place I always visit when I am over there. Never disappointed in the food or the service. If you need a change Stoney Knob Cafe is on Merrimon Ave. While you're on Reems Creek Road consider going to 911 and stop by the (Zebulon B. one time governor) Vance birthplace just to see how things used to be. Admission is free, and the old homestead has been undergoing some work the past few years. Lots of good people where you're heading! The Asheville area has a lot to see but is so spread out it can take a while to get around. If you are wanting lumber to take back I can recommend Bee Tree hardwood and Fairview Sawyers and plenty of others if you are looking for something in particular. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
True... I grew up in Weaverville and I always forget about Vance Birthplace. Never been to Cormark though. Need to drop in some time. As to Stony Knob Cafe. Funny... back when I was a kid, it was called Stony Knob Restaurant and it was a little dump. They changed to 'cafe' and cleaned it up and now it's always busy.

MEdwards

Maurice
Corporate Member
Twisted Laurel, Blue Mountain Pizza, and Soba are a few more good restaurants on Main Street in Weaverville. Twisted Laurel is a grill and Soba is a Japanese restaurant. I have to agree with CaptnA, Main Street grill makes a great burger! They are all in walking distance from my house. I hope you have an enjoyable trip!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I visit the Southern Highland Craft Guild and Folk Art Center on the BR Parkway for inspiration. The River Arts District includes a few woodworking-related shops. Brian Boggs has his shop there but don't know about drop-ins.
The Cradle of Forestry outside of Brevard is very interesting.

malacoda

John
User
Have to mention Cormark International. They are an international importer of wood. Located at 179 Reems Creek Road in Weaverville. Doubt you'd be disappointed. Check out their website at Cormarkint.com. Hard for me to go out there and not load up the buggy for the ride home. Jason always makes me feel at home. Main Street Grill on South Main in Weaverville is another place I always visit when I am over there. Never disappointed in the food or the service. If you need a change Stoney Knob Cafe is on Merrimon Ave. While you're on Reems Creek Road consider going to 911 and stop by the (Zebulon B. one time governor) Vance birthplace just to see how things used to be. Admission is free, and the old homestead has been undergoing some work the past few years. Lots of good people where you're heading! The Asheville area has a lot to see but is so spread out it can take a while to get around. If you are wanting lumber to take back I can recommend Bee Tree hardwood and Fairview Sawyers and plenty of others if you are looking for something in particular. Enjoy your trip!
CaptnA, when you say, "Fairview Sawyers", are talking about these guys?: Southern Appalachian Wood - Milling, Kiln Drying, Lumber and More

I'm a bit new to the Asheville area and am just trying to figure out if there's a local source out there I haven't heard about yet.

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
Next month I will be accompanying my wife to Weaverville for 3 or 4 days. I will have plenty of time on my hands during the day. Would welcome any suggestions on woodworking stores/places to visit. I saw Mike's post about Scrounger's Paradise and I know there is a Klingspors in Asheville. Where else do I need to go? I live in Wilmington and we don't have much locally here for woodworkers so wanting to take advantage while I can.
Right down the road from scroungers paradise is the tobacco barn antique store very large lots of old tools and some slabs and wood too.

holcombej

jim
User
Ariel Gallery, Blue Spiral, Grovewood Gallery are all good for inspiration. Grovewood is at the Grove Park Inn and a walk thru the Inn is good for Arts and Crafts furniture inspiration.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Time goes on and things change and I don't keep up as I once did. Sorry, what I called Fairview Sawyers then became Mountain Sawyers has now closed down. I ought to have checked on them before posting.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
David Ellsworth lives and teaches turning in Weaverville. Fortunately, I was able to reserve a rare spot in his January 2023 class there in January. During that stay, I happily ate at afore mentioned Blue Mountain Pizza twice and can also recommend it. I had a pasta dishes.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
CaptnA, when you say, "Fairview Sawyers", are talking about these guys?: Southern Appalachian Wood - Milling, Kiln Drying, Lumber and More

I'm a bit new to the Asheville area and am just trying to figure out if there's a local source out there I haven't heard about yet.
Check the maps in the resources tab.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS