Tree Bookshelf 9-Tier Floor Standing Bookcase

Chiefifd32

Ed
User
Hi all....
Has anyone built ( Tree Bookshelf 9-Tier Floor Standing Bookcase )? The build looks basic for sure. I'm looking to make the shelves with dado's for strength that part is pretty basic.

I'm wondering if anyone has put dado's into the back board at 45% angles for both strength and design. This is the little more technical part. I think having all the pieces dadoed would add to the overall look of the piece.

I plan to dado the shelves on a table saw, and use a router to dado the standing board where the shelves will go.

Anyone can simply glue and screw the boards together, it would look ok, but not what I'm looking for.

Just looking for ideas that you may have used if you attempted something similar.......

I've attached a photo of a "Tree Bookshelf"

Thanks
Ed

Attachments

• ‎Untitled.‎1.jpeg
    ‎Untitled.‎1.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 94

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Keep a log and post a How-to article in the Resources forum when you build yours, please!

Ed:

I would guess that the strength and support of that bookstand would rely in large measure on the shelves being fastened to the back board of the unit. If it were me, I would fasten the shelf components to each other with biscuits, and then screw the shelves through the back board.

I think that dados are unnecessary for this unit, and would question what strength they would contribute. They would also be a lot more work, and something that whoever made the third pictured unit on Martin Roper's post chose not to do, as you can see where the bottom board of the shelf component meets the top of the drawer box. This is also true in your own photo.

You might also consider finishing or painting before you assemble, as it might be a pain to get an even finish with all those small inside corners. Biscuits would help with that as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Tone

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I would guess that the strength and support of that bookstand would rely in large measure on the shelves being fastened to the back board of the unit. If it were me, I would fasten the shelf components to each other with biscuits, and then screw the shelves through the back board.

I think that dados are unnecessary for this unit, and would question what strength they would contribute. They would also be a lot more work, and something that whoever made the third pictured unit on Martin Roper's post chose not to do, as you can see where the bottom board of the shelf component meets the top of the drawer box. This is also true in your own photo.

You might also consider finishing or painting before you assemble, as it might be a pain to get an even finish with all those small inside corners. Biscuits would help with that as well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Tone
Tone raises a great ?--what's the strongest joint to butt two boards together? Inquiring minds want to know. All of the photos of different bookshelves show two basic designs--a backboard to which the shelves can be attached and screws can be hidden, and free standing with no additional support.

My artist's eye prefers the minimalist bulk of the free standing designs; my craftsman's eye prefers the strength of the backboard designs. The free standing style makes one stop and try to figure out how it was made; the backboard style explains itself with no additional thought. With the free standing design, a full load of books will put a lot of stress on the lowest joint because it has to support everything above it, and books can get heavy fast.

One possible solution--start with the strongest joinery for butted boards, whether it is biscuits, dowels, dadoes, blind dovetails, or something else (I'm hoping someone else will post the answer to this). Go with the freestanding design, and after it is glued together, attach T plates to the back of each joint. You could rout out pockets for each plate, but I think as long as the finished piece is up against a wall the plates will be sufficiently hidden. I'm hoping someone will vouch that __________ style joinery will safely support X amount of weight, so you can go with the freestanding. Or, you could go the Sam Maloof route--don't hide the joinery, make it a feature--and install polished brass T plates on the front. These I would inset into the wood so they are flush with the board edges, then clock the screws.

Chiefifd32

Ed
User
Thanks All......
I'm going to weight the options presented. This isn't going to be done for a bit, it's a contract piece. As of now looks like there looking at Ash for the boards (easily stained).
I'll put the final project on when I get it completed.....
Ed

Chiefifd32

Ed
User
Well......I delivered the Book Shelf last week. Here's a few photo's of the project. I did a few things a little different as I originally had planed.
It's very solid.......
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5531.jpeg
    IMG_5531.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5530.jpeg
    IMG_5530.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please write a How-to article and post in the Resource forum.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS