Trashing my work...a humbling experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Our master bath has a tight little area next to the throne that we have had problems finding a trash can for. Either they are too wide, or too small to be effective. Heck I can make one, how hard can it be. I recalled the trash can that Gofor made.
Qtrview.JPG

I really liked the look and style. So I set out to make one of my own.
I jointed, planed and re-sawed some QS Beech and Walnut stock to make it with. Started cutting my joinery, and soon realized I wasn't smart enough to make something this simply complicated. My hat is off to Mark, not only did he make his out of a tubafour, he didn't screw it up.
I just ain't smart enough :5dunce::5dunce::5dunce:
To start I forgot to offset my grooves, so on the second set they became rabbets:eusa_doh::eusa_doh: Then trying to figure out how to salvage the frame pieces it dawned on me that I didn't have my geometry right. Compound angles always get me:BangHead:.
So screw it, I had already wasted enough time and wood on a trash can. I made it square, something I can pull off most of the time. I was able to salvage my re-sawed and book matched panels, but had to remake the frames. It went a whole lot faster when I had no angles to try and 'cypher.
Here's my trashy work -

Copy_of_Trash_can_and_moths_015.jpg

Copy_of_Trash_can_and_moths_020.jpg

Spray Shellac and gloss Lacquer finish. Air dried Walnut and kiln dried QS Beech. 7" x 13" x 11"...fits a plastic grocery bag perfectly (about the only thing that I did right)

Thanks for looking and adding to my humility:embaresse

Dave:)

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Dave, I shook your hand at the picnic, sorry, sounds like my luck rubbed off on you.:rotflm: That is how I usually build things. But, you recovered, and the finished product looks great and does exactly what you wanted it to do. I think you did fine. I actually like the beech and walnut together.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I am confused, I thought DAVE O could do anything with wood:icon_scra

My hats off to you showing your mistake

And the second one is better then I could do:icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
A couple things come to mind:

A. Square is less likely to tip over.
B. Size ended up correct for selected liner.

That would work for me!!! :gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I feel your pain. Angles? I'm happy when things come out square! Compound angles = 4x the trouble. The end result looks great. Kudos for revealing you wanted it angled, without it we'd all have been oohing and aahing in complete ignorance.

If you ever decide to try the angled version again, well, I got an empty spot next to the throne as well :)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am confused, I thought DAVE O could do anything with wood:icon_scra

I would like to think I can, but the anything might not always come out as planned.
I knew that this wasn't going to be a straight forward project, and I welcomed the challenge. I had no idea how challenging it would be. I tried a paper mock up to help with the dimensions, but in the 2 dimensionality of paper something was lost :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:
The end result still holds trash and fits where it needs to go, and that was the plan.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
You may have "missed the angles", DaveO; but you really nailed the photography!!!:wsmile:

I still think that is looks swell!:icon_thum:icon_thum Now tell me. Just who else out Clayton way actually has a solid beech and Walnut trash can ANYWHERE in the house?????

Well done!:eek:ccasion1

Wayne

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Dave O,
The sign of a good woodworker is being able to make adjustments on the fly. :icon_thum It turned out just fine.

J

jeff...

Dang I'm with Earl - I thought DAVE O could do anything with wood.

Great save and looks good to boot - be proud...:thumbs_up

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave it was not a mistake just call it an OFDC (On the Fly Design Change). :rotflm: It is functional and it really came out nice.:gar-Bi

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
There goes DaveO again, showing off pics and talkin' trash.... :slap:

Was the clean up easy? :eek:ccasion1

Rob

New User
Rob
Question is Dave, does the wifey like it? Does she know about the OFDC? Looks great dude, I can't do near as well.

woodrat

New User
Archie
DaveO,

I think it looks good. I'm with some of the others, if it ain't square
I don't think I could build it. Them angles get to me.

Woodrat.

DavidF

New User
David
It's still a nice looking rubbish bin (UK translation)! Those angles are not very conducive to a quick weekend project for sure.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice recovery on the trash can, Dave:thumbs_up

It looks great and serves it's purpose. What more could you ask for....unless it required a new tool purchase to complete:widea:.

sapwood

New User
Roger
It looks great and serves it's purpose. What more could you ask for....unless it required a new tool purchase to complete:widea:.

I agree. And it is an extremely purdy can :icon_thum
So you are totally justified to buy a compound, multi-angle, 220v, power tool thingy-ma-jig :mrgreen:

Appreciatively,
Roger

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The wife just said she really likes yours. I do too!!. It is definitely prettier than mine. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I just finished a couple more (this time out of SYP), and after spending more time trying to get a decent finish (without blotching), I will definitely look for a better wood choice. I do like the character that the knots in SYP can give it. When the sun is behind them, the light actually makes the knots glow!! If you click on the below, you will see I was not really successful with the finish.

Evidently I threw out my previous sketches, so had to figure it out again. This time I made sure to draw it out well, including the different cross-section profiles for the top, bottom and side rails (each is different).

Go

PS: The only compound angle is the top and bottom cuts on the vertical frame pieces. All the rest are plain miters or bevels. I used 7 degrees for all the settings. If others want to try some, I will try to get some pictures of my drawing and put them in the photo gallery or convert them to PDF.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Evidently I threw out my previous sketches, so had to figure it out again. This time I made sure to draw it out well, including the different cross-section profiles for the top, bottom and side rails (each is different).

Go

PS: The only compound angle is the top and bottom cuts on the vertical frame pieces. All the rest are plain miters or bevels. I used 7 degrees for all the settings. If others want to try some, I will try to get some pictures of my drawing and put them in the photo gallery or convert them to PDF.

Yes, please. I feel like a man with a mission. I will conquer this project...plus I could use some help figuring it out. I ain't as smart as I thought I was :eusa_doh:
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS