Trashcans on Etsy

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If you're looking to make a little extra pocket change, take a look at this listing on Etsy. This guy is selling these trashcans for $325.00 each. With good wood source and a few jigs, these can be built in a reasonable for much less than that. You may have to have an account to see the listing. I don't remember.

Etsy Trashcans

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
"With a good wood source" is key to part of your error here. Ill bet , even with a wholesale source, one would have $100 each into one of these. Now you have to paint them and topcoat, painting supplies Different colors probably add another $40-50. Buy several grits of sandpaper, hinges and glue , screws etc for another $25 each. OK, now lets get to work. I would be hard pressed to make all the parts for this and sand them all in 3 hours?. Add another hour for glue up and final assembly. At least an hour to sand and paint prep. Another hour to paint and cleanup. So where are we?. $175 for matl, and 5 hours each , if you hurry?. $30 per hour seems like alot to you?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
"With a good wood source" is key to part of your error here. Ill bet , even with a wholesale source, one would have $100 each into one of these. Now you have to paint them and topcoat, painting supplies Different colors probably add another $40-50. Buy several grits of sandpaper, hinges and glue , screws etc for another $25 each. OK, now lets get to work. I would be hard pressed to make all the parts for this and sand them all in 3 hours?. Add another hour for glue up and final assembly. At least an hour to sand and paint prep. Another hour to paint and cleanup. So where are we?. $175 for matl, and 5 hours each , if you hurry?. $30 per hour seems like alot to you?
Not so long ago, someone was selling them For $129 each. Either you're making them too much like furniture, or theirs were hot.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Not so long ago, someone was selling them For $129 each. Either you're making them too much like furniture, or theirs were hot.
Im not making them..... but as a woodworker, you of all people should understand why they cost what they do rather than coming out of some sweat shop in China. This is the point I was trying to make here.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Funny how we forget the simple facts of what materials, and labor cost in a world of I’ve gotta have it now and have it at the cheapest price. Even myself, I have been guilty of wanting cheaper. I have also been victimized by this consumer driven economy. To combat this I have systematically over the past years fired costumers. I do this simply to not work at a break even point, no profit then I don’t need the business.

gritz

New User
Robert
Looking at the color samples, it doesn't appear to me that this product is "made in the USA."

gator

George
Corporate Member
Several years ago I built a bathroom vanity for a neighbor. He also wanted a matching dirty clothes hamper. The one I made was on the same principle as these thrash bins with a lift out net bag hung on internal hooks. Customer was very happy.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Etsy has unfortunately moved away from dedicated “hand made”. There are a lot of sellers importing stuff from China and selling it on Etsy. I complained about a guy selling table, chair and similar legs, all from Plantation wood imported from China to no avail. Etsy has prioritized revenue over authenticity unfortunately.

For the one man person, size, weight, packaging and shipping is a big deal though. I tend to focus on small high value items which I can drop off at the local post office.

There are other hand made sites around, but they do not draw nearly the traffic which Etsy does. They are slowly growing though.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS