Toy Box for Grandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Hi all,

Just finished a toy box for my grandson, who turned 1 last week. Material was wormy maple, finished with shellac, glaze and water based poly. Designed and carved his name into the front of the chest and added a carved dog's head to the underside of the lid. All carving done on a ShopBot.

Of particular interest are the hinges. They are safety hinges called Lid Stay Torsion Hinges and are marketed by Rockler. Best hinge I've found for an application like this and I highly recommend them. Not cheap, but can't put a price on safety.

His initial reaction made it all worth the effort.

Tim

IMG_1558a.JPG

IMG_1559a.JPG

IMG_1562a.JPG

IMG_1575a.JPG

IMG_1576a.JPG

b4man

New User
Barbara
What a great gift! You did a wonderful job carving and finishing the chest. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Barbara

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is a great looking toy chest, but the last two pictures, they are priceless.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is a great looking toy box. I think the "customer" is very pleased. Grandkids are great. We have one of ours with us today.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Tim that is a great project.
I am impressed with the hinges. Noticed I didn't see the traditional looking safety hinges, surprised me a bit, then a LOT more when I read those were! Got to check the Rockler hardware section for sure.
No doubt an heirloom starting its career. Looks like someone is already putting it to good use~

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Great job, Tim. Your verbal description didn't do it justice especially the grandson touching the pup. I really like that you put it on the inside.
Biltmore Forest mayor really loved the Town Seal. Your efforts were first class. Thank you once again.

M

McRabbet

Superb job, Tim. I have an advantage on others since I saw the finished proct before you delivered it. It's obvious that your grandson really enjoyed your work, too! My grandson really loves the one I built for him and he's found it makes a great hiding place (for about 10 seconds before he pops back out) -- I put three lid support hinges on mine that will hold it in any position yet he can open it easily. As you may remember, I put a Lexan top on mine to protect the carved schooner you did for me on your ShopBot. My daughter was ecstatic when he got it!

jstraw

New User
John
Nice job on the toy box. The personal touches really make it. I also had no clue those hinges were available. I used the old sytle on my son's box years ago.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Tim, great job bro. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap He's going to enjoy and cherish that for sure.

Brian.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
Nice work Tim! It's great to be able to build things our families (grandkids in particular) use and enjoy and will have for years to come. Perhaps even passing them down.

Mitch

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Michael,

The carvings were done on a CNC machine called a ShopBot (http://www.shopbottools.com/) which I'm proud to say is a NC company in Durham. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the concept of CNC (computer numerical controlled), but it is simply a computer operated wood router. I get to sit in a comfortable chair at night (with beer and slippers) and use special software on my computer to design images like the blocks on the front (the dog's head was designed by a professional company). Then the software generates a set of instructions that I save to a flash drive to transfer to the computer that controls the router. When ready, I fasten the piece of wood to the machine, load the instructions, insert the correct router bit, and watch it work. After it's done, all that is left is sanding and finishing.

I always try to identify what is machine carved out of respect for those that do real carving by hand.

I don't have any videos listed, but if you're interested just go to YouTube and search for ShopBot. You can see one in action.

Hope this helps,

Tim

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:eusa_clapTim, looks great, with fine details inside and out. The cake and "from" inside the lid will always remind the grandson of a special day.

paul dyar

New User
paul
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']No amount of money can buy a present like the one you build yourself. It will be treasured more and more as time goes by.[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']paul[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS