Tormek clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
One concern I would have would be the quality of the stone. They may look the same, but trust me there are HUGE stone differences out there. I had a german-made clone and it worked great, but boy did that stone wear fast! I now have a Tormek and the stone is much harder and doesn't leave as much of the stone particles in the water with each sharpening. And if you check out the price of a stone ... you'll see they ain't cheap!

I've heard the same is true with the Jet (lesser quality stone is where some money savings was made). Now, that's hearsay, so do some research and make your own decision.

With all of that said ... if you are only sharpening plane irons and chisels, and don't want to spend $300-$500 on a Tormek, the Grizzly might be a good deal.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
One of the magazines recently gave the Griz a 'best bet' in the wet stone category and the Worksharp 3000 a 'best bet' in the dry category.
I just found the magazine it is WoodWorkers Journal Aug. 2008.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
One of the magazines recently gave the Griz a 'best bet' in the wet stone category and the Worksharp 3000 a 'best bet' in the dry category.
I just found the magazine it is WoodWorkers Journal Aug. 2008.

Well, there you have it ... an endorsement by a magazine :gar-La;

Honestly, after looking at the Grizzly one it's definately a Tormek-style clone, but more directly a rebranded Scheppach Tiger 2000 (even to the degree Grizzly says 'made in Germany'). How's this for a clone-job? http://www.amazon.com/Scheppach-Vertical-Grinding-Sharpening-System/dp/B000BOLGE4

EXCEPT the Scheppach Tiger 2000 is now CHEAPER!!! (It used to be $300 and is listed for $134 today!)

The Scheppach Tiger 2000 is the one I had previously. It's a good system, as I mentioned and I was happy with it, except for the stone hardness. However, if I were aware of that when I bought it I could have been more senstive to it (like not sharpening bowl gouges -- which ultimately made a grove through the entire stone)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Honestly, after looking at the Grizzly one it's definately a Tormek-style clone, but more directly a rebranded Scheppach Tiger 2000 (even to the degree Grizzly says 'made in Germany'). How's this for a clone-job? http://www.amazon.com/Scheppach-Vertical-Grinding-Sharpening-System/dp/B000BOLGE4

EXCEPT the Scheppach Tiger 2000 is now CHEAPER!!! (It used to be $300 and is listed for $134 today!)

The Scheppach Tiger 2000 is the one I had previously. It's a good system, as I mentioned and I was happy with it, except for the stone hardness. However, if I were aware of that when I bought it I could have been more senstive to it (like not sharpening bowl gouges -- which ultimately made a grove through the entire stone)

Don't buy the Sheppach, it's a piece of garbage. As far as a comparison to the Grizzly there is none, The Grizzly has a 2" x 10" grinding wheel and the Sheppach has a 1" x 8" wheel that is made of subpar material. It seems that it usually needs to be dressed out of the box . By the way, ikt doesn't come with a dressing wheel.

Go for the Grizzly, and if you are only going to do chisels and plane blades go for the Worksharp.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Good points ... and true. However, I don't think it's garbage. Afterall, I had one and it did make my tools sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm with very little effort or setup. The subpar stone though is what ruined it for me ...

The Worksharp is interesting, to the point I wouldn't mind adding one to my shop to play with -- especially smaller chisels ... but by the time you get it and the accessories, you could have a Tormek (I bought a used Tormek with a bunch of jigs in brand-new condition for $300 -- so I know they are out there).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Good points ... and true. However, I don't think it's garbage. Afterall, I had one and it did make my tools sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm with very little effort or setup. The subpar stone though is what ruined it for me ...

The Worksharp is interesting, to the point I wouldn't mind adding one to my shop to play with -- especially smaller chisels ... but by the time you get it and the accessories, you could have a Tormek (I bought a used Tormek with a bunch of jigs in brand-new condition for $300 -- so I know they are out there).

I wouldn't mind a Tormek if the price were right:gar-La;, but I've seen Bas's demo on the Worksharp, and I have a Drill Doctor(same company), So I know the system is idiot proof and for me. Besides I have all of my other type of blades sharpened at Raleigh Saw, so it's all I would probably need.

Jimmy

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Grizzly has a tormek clone that was actually rated pretty highly in one of the online comparisons I read, and it's on sale right now. Check it out here
http://www.grizzly.com/products/ite...ailburst&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=T10010

If anyone has one of these (or the harbor freight version) let me know how it performs as I am pretty interested in a poor man's tormek.:eusa_danc

What do you want to sharpen? Chisels? Plane irons? Lathe chisels? Knifes? Fingernails?

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
I wouldn't mind a Tormek if the price were right:gar-La;, but I've seen Bas's demo on the Worksharp, and I have a Drill Doctor(same company), So I know the system is idiot proof and for me. Besides I have all of my other type of blades sharpened at Raleigh Saw, so it's all I would probably need.

Jimmy

So what you are saying is that if Bas can use the Worksharp, That anyone can?:rotflm::rotflm:

Danny

Sorry Bas. :nah:

sapwood

New User
Roger
So what you are saying is that if Bas can use the Worksharp, That anyone can?:rotflm::rotflm:

Danny

Sorry Bas. :nah:

Heck, even me Danny :rolf:
Haven't tried the free hand sharpening yet, but it's almost idiot proof :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS