Mike
Corporate Member
I would start with a table saw,

but then the band saw,

planer,

Jointer,

A good drill press,

Maybe a lathe.

I disagree about the router table being in the top 5, maybe even that it is a major stationary tool.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I agree with your list Mike. Although going back to the earlier days of young adulthood and making furniture type items, I had the router table long before the drill press. Power drills get the holes I needed then.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I bought a router table as one of my early purchases. Hardly ever use it. My bandsaw, on the other hand, I use all the time. Interesting that the author says he uses the bandsaw a lot, but lists it last? My list would be:

1 - Table Saw
2 - Bandsaw
3 - Drill Press
4 - Planer
5 - Jointer (but really the planer & jointer would be 4A and 4B)

Honorable Mention: Lathe (but not everyone wants to do turning)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
table saw
jointer
planer
band saw
drill press
lathe

That is 6 but who is counting

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I would start with a table saw,

but then the band saw,

planer,

Jointer,

A good drill press,

Maybe a lathe.

I disagree about the router table being in the top 5, maybe even that it is a major stationary tool.

Although a router table was one of the first (probably fourth) stationary tools I bought, I agree it should not be in the top 5. It is convenient and handy, but not a necessity.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm glad this is generating the kind of discussion I'd hoped for. George mentioned the Table Saw being number one but said the others could be ranked in any order. I tend to agree with his list as I built a router table early in my power tool acquisition phase, but I also see the value of a really good drill press. It is all subjective and depends a lot on what kind of work you do, but it is a good starting point and a great discussion so far.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Referencing the title of the video ("Top Five ......For Beginners): Looking back on my past, based on what I "needed" as I got more involved, the first 5 were:

1. Table saw
2. Router table
3. Miter saw
4. Drill press
5 Planer

My progression was probably quite typical. Started by needing items I couldn't afford to buy ready made based on a limited income and using limited space. First table saw was inexpensive with a sheet metal top and wings. Used it to build self standing shelf units from plywood. Progressed to wanting to put doors on it, so a router was next. Began with hand held but then acquired a cheap table top router table. (Later built a better one). Projects got larger, and the table saw had a terrible fence, so wife bought me a good compound miter saw as a birthday present. (Craftsmen 8" slider that I still use to this day). Income improved, so next step was to seriously up-grade the table saw. But complexity of the cabinets I was building also increased, so I bought a drill press to do a better job of spacing the holes for adjustable shelf pegs, but more importantly, started using European style hinges. By this time the realization that I really couldn't build it cheaper, but I could build it custom to my needs and of better quality, so progressed to rough lumber. Next "need" was a thickness planer, but this step also drove me to hand tools (i.e. hand planes) which filled the needs of the jointer. Also led to buying a bandsaw, but it is still one of the least used tools I have.

I guess my problem with the jointer being on the top 5 list is that from my experience with a table top model, combined with all the posts about them on the forums, is that unless you get a quality one of sufficient size, it will destroy more wood than you produce with it. That means $$$ and space, which many beginners do not have. Guess I view it as a luxury more than a basic tool, although it does perform a basic function.

Depending on which way one's woodworking progresses, though, I can easily see where a lathe and a bandsaw could easily move up fairly high on the list. I think Earl (erasmussen) proved that.

Also wouldn't have a problem with discounting the router table altogether as a stationary tool, in which case the next tool for my list would be a bandsaw.

jmtcw

Go

Last edited:

jgpncll

New User
Jeremy
I don't consider a router a stationary tool(nor table) as it was never meant nor designed to be used in a stationary manner.

My order is based on what I feel I need the most for my projects.

1- table saw
2- planer
3- jointer
4- band saw
5- drum sander

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I agree the table saw should be number 1, but I think I use my bandsaw more than any other power tool in my shop. I do almost all of my ripping on my bandsaw, then clean it up with a Jointer plane, i just don't like ripping anything more than about 3 feet on the table saw.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Being a wood turner, primarily, my order of preference was definitely different.

1. Lathe
2. Bandsaw
3. Drill Press
4. Table saw

I still do not have a planer nor a jointer and do not see myself getting either in the future but that is just me.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have a 6-inch jointer, but really don't use it. What little jointing I need to do is just as quick or quicker with a No. 7 jointer plane or my table saw. The jointer will likely end up in the classifieds here soon so I can get the room back.

The DeWalt 735 is handy, so it stays.

My list would be:

1. Miter saw.
2. Table saw.
3. Drill press.
4. Band saw.
5. Lathe.
5. Router table.

I have a mortiser, but I really haven't used it enough to justify the space it takes up either.

Used my miter saw for 20 years or more before I had the shop. Built several pieces of furniture with it as my main power tool as well as the stuff it was designed for. But I do have to say that having a table saw makes a lot of things much easier.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My list would have break down table, circular saw and guide as #1 tool. (I do a lot of sheet goods case work) #2 would be table saw, #3 band saw, #4 planer ( I buy my lumber S2S, and straight lined,) # 5 air compressor. The compressor runs all my air nailers.

MichaelSC

New User
Michael
1. Table saw
2. Drill Press
3. 12 inch disk sander (I built)
4. Jointer/planer combo
5. Dust collector (home built)
I have a Lathe I purchased later, but haven't used it much. The dust collector and disk sander were 2 must haves on my list.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I would be lost without my bandsaw. Didn't have a 20" back in the 70's but the 14 worked. Still have both of them.

I do very little plywood work so the TS and sleds have not been that important for my work.

I have been discouraged by big TS set ups taking up so much shop space and becoming tables for junk to sit on.

Everybody is different I guess.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Here are the top five for me:

1 - Table Saw
2 - Bandsaw
3 - Drill Press
4 - Planer
5 - Jointer

My table saw is the heart of my shop, a good table saw enables you to do a variety of projects. The band saw is also a must for cutting curves on my decoys and resawing. A good drill press, you could do the same with a hand drill, but you can't beat the accuracy and ease of having one ready to go. A planer for thickness and flattening boards, if I had too it could be supplanted with my jointer, but the reason I bought one was I hated doing those tasks on the jointer, go figure. A jointer for straight edges and better glue ups. I would also add to the above these hand held or bench top tools which I won't do without.

- Router which has proven itself indespenible in my shop so many uses, its hard to list.

- Miter saw for crosscuts and roughing down material qiuckly.

- Combination belt/disc sander and hand-held sanders, like my routers, they've become indispensable for me for a variety of reasons.

- Biscuit joiner, it keeps my glue-up strong, aligned and me sane.

- Hand drill, I use for fastening more than drilling.

I purposely listed only power tools, as the list of hand tools varied too much to list in one post.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oneway 2436

Oneway 1224 plus extensions

Robust American Beauty

But I can tell you I will never own any of those lathes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS