Tool Gloat, Confession of Ignorance, and Request for Advice

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
GLOAT:
On my way home after work Saturday morning I couldn’t pass up an ‘Auction’ sign in Greensboro. I lucked into an estate auction that included quite a large amount of high-end woodworking tools. Fortunately for my wallet I arrived 2 hours late and so missed about half of an amazing collection of well-cared-for hand and power tools. I had to leave after staying just 2 hours as well.
I’ve alway done rough and framing carpentry as part of my DIY home maintenance, and for the past 15-18 years some cabinetry and casework. I’ve always wanted to expand my skills and learn about planes, but never took the time and money to progress beyond a small shoulder plane and an simple Stanley bench plane. I’ve just gotten by with chisels, sanders or a router table as substitutes. .
I did make an impulsive decision that I HAD to leave with one lot (a cardboard box of 13 planes) which had these:

ChiselMIsc.jpeg

ChiselMisc2.jpeg

ChiselKeep1.jpeg

ChiselKeep2.jpeg

I’ll be selling the Clifton 3110 and the miniature Lie-Nielsen No. 1 Smoothing Plane to blunt the impact of my purchase since I wouldn't really need a second shoulder plane nor a L-N mini since the Veritas planes should handle that work. I now look forward to learning to use the remainder of my haul. I missed another box of ~12 Lie-Nielsen fancy planes, but that went for just over $2,000 and I certainly wouldn’t have made that big a leap into the deep end.
I also sat next to a pair of fascinating woodworkers: a youth pastor that builds guitars, and an older builder who had done exposed-beam and finish carpentry to build his current house. All of us wound up with some treasures. Between trying to track the auction, coordinate meeting up with my wife returning from out-of-town for a week, and hearing some of their stories I neglected to get contact information. The older master craftsman did remind me that whenever I used my planes I’d remember this sale!

REQUESTS FOR ADVICE
1- I've looked through some old PLANE threads in the Hand Tool forum, but until COVID gradually becomes an endemic respiratory virus I won't be able to do in-person woodworking classes. Can some experts here suggest good sources to educate an experienced woodworker (with essentially NO KNOWLEDGE of how to adjust/tune my new collection of bench and low-angle/cabinetry planes)? I prefer books but on-line videos are OK too.
2- Is the trio of tiny rosewood & brass planes a miniature set for display or intended for real use (for detail work)?
3- Is the little black plane (center photo #2, only mark is the number 102 beneath the handle) anything special or should I sell/donate it?

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Larry, you asked a lot of questions that I am not prepared to answer thoroughly and should not answer lightly.
I know you are against face to face classes but I have been holding one on one classes to a high success the last two years with no virus transmissions. We check temperature, wear masks, use hand sanitizer, and try to maintain distance in my small shop.
There is no substitute for the teaching opportunities, observation, immediate feedback, correction, and validation that comes from being in the same room and working in real time.
If that is still to dangerous for you then we can work with Zoom or FaceTime. But I would like to help you with this. Let me know what you think.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congratulations Larry. I was standing less than 10' from you when you won that bid. I, and several other woodworkers, tried to get the auctioneer to sell all the Vertias and L-N tools separately, but he said that would take too much time. Unbelieveable! I won't post what you paid for that one box, but the L-N #1 was worth more than that by itself. As for the other box of planes you mentioned, actually I think it went for $510, but the planes were valued at well over $2,000. Again, the auctioneer didn't want to take the time to sell them individually. Too much trouble. There was also a box of L-N and Veritas hand saws (dovetail, progressive teeth, etc.) that was sold the same way. Don't recall what it went for.

I'm still shaking my head at the money left on the table because the auctioneer (JC Pegg) didn't want to take the time to get the most return for the family selling those tools.

Again, congratulations Larry. I'm delighted that at least it was a woodworker on this forum who got that deal rather than just someone looking to make a quick buck on eBay.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
I have been holding one on one classes to a high success the last two years with no virus transmissions. We check temperature, wear masks, use hand sanitizer, and try to maintain distance in my small shop.
There is no substitute for the teaching opportunities, observation, immediate feedback, correction, and validation that comes from being in the same room and working in real time.
Wow, I just presumed that most folks still weren't holding classes - I'm fine to attend when not working, so will look up the class schedule and sign up when possible

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is no class schedule, just send me a message and we can set up a date, usually Saturday but I can be a little flexible.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats on the auction. Those are some great finds.

Craig C

New User
Craig
Larry, I was at that auction as well and bid on that box of planes. (I was going to apologize for bidding it up against you but I dropped out early). :D I picked up a few nice buys as well. I also tried to get the auctioneer to separate the tools but got the same response from the auctioneer. Then we had to sit there while he sold off the coin collection painfully slowly, seemingly one at a time. Oh well. I have never seen so many high-end hand tools at what appeared to be a hobbyist auction in a backyard shed. I bought a $10 box of sandpaper at the end that had a set of 12 Italian riffle files in it. Looked them up and they are priced at over $300 at Woodcraft. Doesn't look like they have ever been used.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
BTW, Jim Bode buys tools as well as sells them. Might get a better deal on ebay though. Wouldn't hurt to ask him about the LN #1. It looks in pristine condition.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
BTW, Jim Bode buys tools as well as sells them. Might get a better deal on ebay though. Wouldn't hurt to ask him about the LN #1. It looks in pristine condition.
Ken, you're right about the pristine condition. I looked at every one of the L-N and Veritas tools. I don't think any of them had ever been used. No dust or little wood fibers in the plane mouths or spoke shaves. The only things missing were the original boxes.

There were also a few other high dollar tools, such as a 6 piece set of Two Cherries chisels in the original wood box, a complete set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels, some Henry Taylor carving chisels, Pfeil carving chisels, and 2 Auriou rasp (I got those).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Larry,
First, congrats - you got some nice tools (that will likely last you a lifetime)
I will give you my advice and the cost of it is likely what it is worth! LOL

REQUESTS FOR ADVICE
1- I've looked through some old PLANE threads in the Hand Tool forum, but until COVID gradually becomes an endemic respiratory virus I won't be able to do in-person woodworking classes. Can some experts here suggest good sources to educate an experienced woodworker (with essentially NO KNOWLEDGE of how to adjust/tune my new collection of bench and low-angle/cabinetry planes)? I prefer books but on-line videos are OK too.
(Mike has you covered here and like the auction - the time you spend learning from him will likely be time you look back on and remember - I know I do!)
2- Is the trio of tiny rosewood & brass planes a miniature set for display or intended for real use (for detail work)?
(I think... hopefully some others jump in with confirmation, but I think these are the 3-plane set from Harbor Freight, not worth much, but somewhat usable for small things. I think people who have tuned them up have changed out the blades... (not worth it IMHO) unless you have a project that needs that specific tool...
3- Is the little black plane (center photo #2, only mark is the number 102 beneath the handle) anything special or should I sell/donate it?
(The Stanley 102's are (to me) a dime a dozen, but there are people who like them the low-angle planes you have will put that one to shame as long as they are tuned up right and kept sharp (see question #1)

Again, these are one person's opinion, so you might want to hold out, but I think you will find yourself using the "better" L-N (or are they veritas) tools first... and who knows...you may be the person that sells or donates something that gets someone else interested in the craft!

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Mike Davis: There is no class schedule, just send me a message and we can set up a date, usually Saturday

Sounds great - I'll look at my schedule and get information on cost/duration of classes

I'm not good with names & faces, so sorry I missed Craig C and Bill Clemmons at the auction: I did attend a few NCWW Lunches at the Moose Cafe long ago (when nearby neighbor Barbara Foreman was still making sawdust), but have not done much woodworking the past 4-5 years since I have a teenager now getting ready for college. I did rebuild our staircase as my Covid project last years, and fixed up an unheated backyard shed.

Plane classes should be great!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike Davis: There is no class schedule, just send me a message and we can set up a date, usually Saturday

Sounds great - I'll look at my schedule and get information on cost/duration of classes

I'm not good with names & faces, so sorry I missed Craig C and Bill Clemmons at the auction: I did attend a few NCWW Lunches at the Moose Cafe long ago (when nearby neighbor Barbara Foreman was still making sawdust), but have not done much woodworking the past 4-5 years since I have a teenager now getting ready for college. I did rebuild our staircase as my Covid project last years, and fixed up an unheated backyard shed.

I just got a little choked-up at the mention of Barbara...
Gone too young and too soon, but boy oh boy the lives she touched!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I just got a little choked-up at the mention of Barbara...
Gone too young and too soon, but boy oh boy the lives she touched!
Barbara got me started teaching, she and two other ladies were disappointed with the classes they had taken because the men were not... (polite, concerned, forgiving, willing to educate instead of insult?) helpful. So, she asked me to do a ladies only sharpening class. There was some remarks here. Not going into it. But, we did the class anyway. And I never stopped teaching.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

All classes are one on one or I will allow a couple or parent/child.
Fees are per person. Classes are at my shop in Walnut Cove near Hanging Rock State Park.
Schedule is somewhat flexible and subject to prior arrangement but usually on a Saturday from 10am to 4pm.
If you need lunch we can stop for an hour and then continue to 5pm.
Check with me to see if a date is available.
This works out to about $15 per hour, I make a lot more at my job and when I make things in my shop.
I do this more to help than to make money and I give back in many ways.
Some folks who can't pay get a discount and some give more if they feel like it.
So, anybody that is thinking I'm making a killing or taking advantage just get over it.
All classes are geared to your level and interests.
Covid protections and guidelines are taken and followed.

An Introduction to the Hand Tool Woodshop – 6 hours. $90.
This class is designed with the curious beginner in mind.
Are you interested in wood working with hand tools?
If you’d like to learn more about working wood using only your hands and a few simple tools then this is six hours well spent.
Learn how a work shop can be set up in a small space.
Discover the tools used and the material choices available.
Take the first steps along the journey of wood craft and discover for yourself if the hand tool wood shop is for you.

An Introduction to Hand Planes – 6 hours. $90.
Find out what hand planes you’ll need and how to work with them.
What’s the first plane you should have?
What plane is best suited for each application?
Should you buy new or used for your first hand plane?
In this introduction to hand planes, you’ll get an overview of hand planes and how to use them.
You’ll actually learn how they work and practice how to use them,
how to set them up, and how to maintain them while you work.

Beginning turning- 6 hours. $90
Learn basic lathe turning either spindles or bowls.
Choosing wood, choosing tools, basic cuts, etc.

A Beginners Guide to Sharpening – 6 hours. $90.
The best hand tools in the world are useless if they are not sharp.
If you’re new to wood working or have been struggling with hand tools the answer may be sharpening.
Join me in my work shop where I’ll teach you how to easily and effectively sharpen your hand tools and how to maintain them.
I’ll show you the tools you’ll need and the techniques I use.
Learn the difference between water stones, oil stones, diamond stones, what honing guides are best and what to avoid.
You will learn and practice in this six hour class and you’ll walk away with a better understanding of what a sharp hand tool can do.

Hand cut Dovetails – 6 hours. $90.
Dovetail joinery has become ‘the hallmark’ of fine furniture making and in this class we’ll cover all of the steps needed to make a through dovetail joint.
We’ll look at the tools required, the choices in design and I’ll teach you how to lay out and saw this age-old joint using only hand tools.
You will learn and practice by making a small dovetailed box.

Mortise and Tenon Joinery - 6 hours. $90.
Learn classic mortise and tenon joinery using hand tools only or a combination of power and hand tools.
I’ll teach you how to lay out and execute this joint and share some tips to make the process a little easier and accurate.
This class is a must for anyone who would like to build furniture that will last through the ages.

Bent lamination - 12 hours over two days. $180
Learn how to design and build forms for gluing bent laminations.
Learn how to choose and cut the appropriate thickness for bending any species of wood.
Use kiln dried wood to make curved parts for wood furniture and accessories. build a form, cut strips, glue up, and form a curved part.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
An Introduction to Hand Planes – 6 hours. $90.
Find out what hand planes you’ll need and how to work with them.
What’s the first plane you should have?
What plane is best suited for each application?
Should you buy new or used for your first hand plane?
In this introduction to hand planes, you’ll get an overview of hand planes and how to use them.
You’ll actually learn how they work and practice how to use them,

how to set them up, and how to maintain them while you work.

The plane class will be perfect - I'll look at my work schedule for the next few months and send you a list of Saturdays that are good for me

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors