Took stock of my hardwoods collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I finally took stock of and photos of my small collection of hardwoods. The rosewoods (Brazilian and cocobolo) were given to me about 25 years ago by a lady friend after her return from Mexico in return for looking after her mail; The first three pix are the rosewoods. which came from a Mexican wood-turner friend of hers. A good portion of what I originally had went into my Irish pipes shortly after obtaining this lot:

Next are Walnut, Philippine and Honduras mahogany, then Indian laurel and teak (behind them are a couple pieces of as yet unidentified wood); these I've also had for 25 years (excepting the large block of walnut, recently obtained from Woodcraft for upgrading my Irish pipes), and were scraps from the Sacramento, CA, capitol restoration project, donated by one of my ex-brothers-in-law who was a carpenter on that job. I had recently used some of the teak on the Irish bagpipe project, and some on my lathe-bed extension project, and I have just the small piece on the right in the photo left over:

Lastly are American Tulip (aka "Yellow Poplar"), gum, and maple. These last three were from furniture factory cut-offs, found amongst mostly pine and fir pieces; a friend of one of my son-in-law's sisters works in the factory and donated the scraps for firewood. As the landlord has installed a gas conversion in the fireplace, I had moved the wood pile outdoors, and that's when I spotted the hardwoods in the lot, so naturally I picked them out. One of what had been three pieces of American Tulip was used to make the segmented turning of one of the pieces for my Irish bagpipe regulator project; you can see the trim left from re-sawing that piece on the right in the first photo:

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm sorry that you are all the way in California. I have more hardwood than that in my scrap pile. OK, maybe not the Rosewoods and Teak, but mostly domestic hardwoods.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Wished I had that much wood in my collection, it would be a lot easier to store. Lets see I kinda cleared out the shop and made a little room to work. Then got a call from a logger buddy on some RO and WBC, well I think he knows I can't say no to nice saw logs. So the room I cleared now has been taken up by 12 logs sawn into 4/4 RO and WBC :roll:. This weekend I'll be picking up WO and BW logs to saw. I really don't have room to store the lumber that they will make but how can I say no to nice saw logs? I think I may have a problem is there such a thing as a wood-a-holic, is there a woodaholic's anonymous, I think I may need a support group :-D

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Hate to brag, fellers, but I have turned 173 different domestic and exotic hardwoods and softwoods into pens. I took stock in my shop and currently I have 53 different species of stock for box turning alone and I don't know how many species in my pen blank boxes. Some of that wood is just too pretty to turn yet; I have to admire it for a while before I put tools to it.

I love turning different species of wood and I turn at least one pen from every new species I can find to add to my son's collection. He in turn adds new species of wood to my collection. He recently sent me some Gombeira, some yew burl, some English brown oak, some plum and some London plane....Very exciting!

One of the great thrills in my life is finding a new species of wood to turn something from....I hope you continue to collect wood species. It is great fun.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I'm sorry that you are all the way in California. I have more hardwood than that in my scrap pile. OK, maybe not the Rosewoods and Teak, but mostly domestic hardwoods.

Sneaking over to go through the scrap pile.:eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DavesScrapPile.jpg

:rolf: :rolf: ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors